Can I connect an amplifier to a tv amplified speaker out that is broken?

SubscrM

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I have a total junk, made for bathroom, HDTV that stopped playing audio. It is way out of warranty and support said that I can only get audio out from the amplified rca outs that are connecting to the two supplied external speakers.
There is an HDMI-in on the back which is not ARC, there is no optical out and the rest is a yellow-red-white set for connecting to a camcorder or equivalent.
Is repairing/replacing the internal audio amp the only solution? Even doing so, I am afraid it will burn out again, because it is so powerless and hard to listen to the produced audio unless you turn the volume very high.

Solution
Using an HDMI audio extractor will only work for you if you don't use the internal tuner of the TV.
If you have a cable box it probably has line level audio outputs that you can use to drive an amp directly (if they are analog you don't need a DAC in the amp).
There is no mention in the link to that amp about volume control. If your audio output is fixed (as it would be on an HDMI extractor) you will need something to control the volume. This amp has learning IR so you can teach it the volume commands from the remote you want to use.
http://www.snapav.com/p-1658-ea-mini-2d-35.aspx
All in all if the TV isn't large a new one might not be much more than trying to get sound out of this one.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I doubt it. Probably have to pull the audio out of the HDMI first with something like this.

www.bestbuy.com/site/agptek-hdmi-to-hdmi-and-spdif-and-rca-l-r-audio-extractor-converter-black-black/1308342069.p?id=mp1308342069&skuId=1308342069

SubscrM

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

I am glad there is hope. Thank you!

Now, the amp part :
As I have to fit all these behind the TV housing and between studs, I got to find the slimmest stuff possible. Would an amp like this work?

Digital-to-Analog Converter and 80 Watt Stereo Amplifier Model 250 Black

http://www.amazon.com/Digital---Analog-Converter-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B00QYF86KG/ref=lp_3016936011_1_12?srs=3016936011&ie=UTF8&qid=1440044872&sr=8-12

Using an HDMI audio extractor will only work for you if you don't use the internal tuner of the TV.
If you have a cable box it probably has line level audio outputs that you can use to drive an amp directly (if they are analog you don't need a DAC in the amp).
There is no mention in the link to that amp about volume control. If your audio output is fixed (as it would be on an HDMI extractor) you will need something to control the volume. This amp has learning IR so you can teach it the volume commands from the remote you want to use.
http://www.snapav.com/p-1658-ea-mini-2d-35.aspx
All in all if the TV isn't large a new one might not be much more than trying to get sound out of this one.

Solution

SubscrM

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

It sounds like I don't have many or, any options here. There is no cable or satellite service in the home. The TV is hooked up to a large roof antenna for free off air channels reception.
The antenna cable connects to an 8-output Channel Master CM3418 Distribution Amplifier which is located in the attic and connects to every TV in the house. This is the only signal source that I have and could intercept with a device.

I was thinking about the amp that I was asking advice about because I thought I can save space with using only Toslink between the extractor and amp, even if wasting one of the 2 DACs in the process. I must fit all that I need between 2 or 3 2x4's minus TV's housing depth. I won't be able to avoid a power strip too.

I doubt that this can help, but I also have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDTC-2US 2-Tuner DLNA/UPnP HD Compatible Streaming Media Player that is hooked up to that antenna amplifier and home network to play TV on DLNA compatible devices.

As far as the TV audio out, I believe it is only variable, because they designed the TV to play audio only via its amplified audio out. (The TV front is a mirror, so the speakers had to be external).

Based on your suggestions, it sounds like I need an external TV tuner between the signal booster and TV ....

It is not about the cost of replacing the TV. The bathroom tile was installed around that TV. Even speaker cable is impossible to replace because it runs underneath the tile and along the sides of a hot tub SPA.