Can i connect my laptop's mini DisplayPort to a 144hz dvi monitor using a mini dp to dvi converter??

dexhex

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
hey, i want to connect my msi laptop to an external 144hz monitor via my laptop's mini display port. however, the monitor requires dvi to output 144hz, so im thinking of buying a mini displayport to dvi adapter to work this out. do u think this will work? will any mini dp to dvi adapter carry a 144hz signal?

Solution

Yes, BUT
you will need an active miniDP to dual-link DVI Adapter for this to work. These easily cost 100$ so you might wanna think about that. Also check whether your laptop is actually able to output a 144hz signal and more than 144 FPS in the desired game you want to play. Otherwise your money will be wasted.

Kollosso

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Yes, BUT
you will need an active miniDP to dual-link DVI Adapter for this to work. These easily cost 100$ so you might wanna think about that. Also check whether your laptop is actually able to output a 144hz signal and more than 144 FPS in the desired game you want to play. Otherwise your money will be wasted.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from dexhex : "Can i connect my laptop's mini DisplayPort to a 144hz dvi monitor using a mini dp to dvi converter??"

dexhex

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016

Thanks for your response,

but does that mean that passive adapters CANNOT carry 144hz signals? also, will my dedicated GPU output to the mini DP port or will my iGPU output to it?

Kollosso

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Unfortunately the adapter needs additional power to carry the 144hz signal, therefore you will need an active one. A pssive one might carry 60hz I think.

What model of MSI laptop do you own? Maybe I can help you find out if it can output 144hz. Most laptops don't but since it's for gaming it actually might.

dexhex

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016

Again, thanks for your time,

It's an MSI GE62 6QF

System specs:
GTX 970m
i7 67000HQ
12GB RAM

I mainly play Overwatch. on low to some high settings i get around 150 FPS, dips to 130's when so much action going on, and goes up to 170's

Kollosso

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

By default, the iGPU is responsible for generating the image while the 970m does the legwork. You can however disable the iGPU by either using a button on the laptop, in the BIOS or via the Nvidia control panel. This way you should be able to output a 144Hz signal through the mini DP. Check out David's posts in this MSI forum.

thuganometry

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017

Do you think you'd be able to link us the item you are suggesting? I have searched for things relating to what you have talked about and read reviews about the said items but the reviewers only ever state 120hz and not 144hz.