Solved! can i cool my laptop batter with thermalpads

Jan 12, 2021
Hi ,
( read the bold section for the actual question if you to want to read much)
This is my first post . I use a Razer blade advanced 15. As impressive as the laptop is , it run hot, like really hot. Well I have successfully got the temperature down 90+ to 70-80 by undervolting. But recently when I open the laptop for an SSD upgrade, i noticed that the battery was swollen, not by much but it was. I have ordered a new battery from the USA, its about 80$. With the new battery on the way, I want this battery to last, as it just took under 2 year for the initially battery to swell up.

I read that the main cause of battery swelling over charging, manufacturing defect and heat.

So i would like to know if it is the heat that caused the battery swelling, and will a thermal pad stuck on the bottom lid over the battery will be of any help?

I tried finding some information, and noticed that a thermal pad on the SSD can cool help it run cool, will it work for the battery ?.

Solution
The simple answer is no. A thermal pad only conducts heat. It is used to conduct heat to a radiator of some sort. For instance, on a CPU, the thermal pad sits between the CPU (heat generator) and heat sink (heat radiator). Getting heat away from the batteries is a good idea as their life is seriously impacted by heat. You need to figure out a way to get the heat out of the chassis. This is not simple. For instance, you could cut a hole in the case and attach a heat sink to the battery. Not a great solution tho ugh :<). The same comment applies to the SSD. You can heat up the thermal pad, but where is the heat going to go?

When you are running using the batteries, they will generate hear. When running from the external supply, not so...
The simple answer is no. A thermal pad only conducts heat. It is used to conduct heat to a radiator of some sort. For instance, on a CPU, the thermal pad sits between the CPU (heat generator) and heat sink (heat radiator). Getting heat away from the batteries is a good idea as their life is seriously impacted by heat. You need to figure out a way to get the heat out of the chassis. This is not simple. For instance, you could cut a hole in the case and attach a heat sink to the battery. Not a great solution tho ugh :<). The same comment applies to the SSD. You can heat up the thermal pad, but where is the heat going to go?

When you are running using the batteries, they will generate hear. When running from the external supply, not so much. I have seen posts regarding folks using laptop coolers, but have no experience myself. Thermal design is very complex. I know that first hand. The laptop designers can cut corners and some do.

BTW-there is no way to know the cause of the battery swelling without an investigation. Could be any of the three reasons you listed.

Solution
Jan 12, 2021

When you are running using the batteries, they will generate hear. When running from the external supply, not so much. I have seen posts regarding folks using laptop coolers, but have no experience myself. Thermal design is very complex. I know that first hand. The laptop designers can cut corners and some do.

BTW-there is no way to know the cause of the battery swelling without an investigation. Could be any of the three reasons you listed.

Thanks mate, very helpful and informative. I never overcharge, the only time its on charge is while gaming, and haven't had decent, long game session in years. I guess it is manufacturing defect, because razer official forum is filled with swollen batteries and they really dont reply to it.

Glad to help. You need not worry about overcharging if the designer did his job. The charger will stop when the battery is full. I keep my charger plugged in almost all the time. This will actually help the battery temp as you should be using power from the charger rather than the battery. Again, depends on the design but I've had good luck.

My wife's laptop supports charging to only 50% automatically. Some newer laptops do that. Lithium batteries last longer when not fully charged. She also runs plugged in most of the time.

Once laptops changed over to using internal batteries their swelling issues have skyrocketed, cheaper and less quality control in the battery manufacturing process combined with the extra heat from having it internal next to the hot components causes issues with them. All the newer laptops we buy at work, both Dell and Lenovo, have a much higher rate of battery failure than 6+ year old systems. Some Dell models have had an almost 100% battery failure rate, many failed in less than a year.