Can I downgrade a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Win8.1 to Win7 by installing a new SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwsnod

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
Hi all!
I bought my wife a Toshiba laptop for her school work last Christmas that came pre-installed with Win8.0. After a year, she's decided she can't take it anymore. From my few interactions, I agree with her completely, it's counterintuitive for non-touchscreen devices. BTW, we've upgraded to Win8.1 and tried the Start Button apps so please don't start a flame-war by following those tangents and concentrate on the primary question:
Can I use the new 250MB SSD (Samsung 840EVO) that I was going to upgrade my desktop with to provide a clean install of Win7 on her laptop? If so, how? Do I just swap the drives and pop a new version of Win7 into the optical drive?
Also, can I then use the data migration tool to move the programs she does need from her old HDD to the new SSD? Or do I have to re-download them from the 'net?
She's not a power user and we don't keep pictures/music or large amounts of data on the laptop so I'm not too worried about the size issue (unless Win7 will take up a disproportionate amount of it?)
Help please!

Solution
Yes, as long as that specific model has Windows 7 drivers available you can UPGRADE to Windows 7. Backup her data, it will be a clean reinstallation . Then optimize her drive space using a good guide like THIS.

I would also do fresh installs of all programs once the drivers and Windows updates are installed and you check that all is good.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Yes, as long as that specific model has Windows 7 drivers available you can UPGRADE to Windows 7. Backup her data, it will be a clean reinstallation . Then optimize her drive space using a good guide like THIS.

I would also do fresh installs of all programs once the drivers and Windows updates are installed and you check that all is good.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.