can i force android update?

aleksee

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
i have an LG Optimus M+ running 2.3.6. According to the software update i am using the latest version for my device. There's an app i really REALLY want to use but its only supported for 3.2 and over.

Is there any way i can force my device to update to a higher version of android?

Solution
Dear Aleksee, i'm sorry that I have to tell you this but it is near impossible to force a higher version of android onto your phone.
Rooting wouldn't really solve anything, it would only make your phone less secure. Running Cyanogenmod with android 4.0 or higher (android 3.x is only for tablets) would make your phone really slow and would reduce the battery life (in addition to any other bugs that may occur).
Android is an amazing Operating System; you can get it on phones, tablets, media players, netbooks, E-readers, etc. An advantage of Android is that it's Open Source (google "GNU license" for more info) and free, so its easy for manufacturers to use it.
A disadvantage of this is that Android needs to be modified for use on certain...

aleksee

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

how would rooting my phone enable me to update the firmware? i'm not interested in rooting my phone but i'd like to know anyway.

Ravi Gagan

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
if you are agree with rooting then you will be able to flash any android version but on one condition whichios the rom willl be custom made and the rom should be specifically for your device(LG OPTIMUS M+)

i have galaxy pocket, no longer compatible above 2.3.6 I flashed a custom rom which was 4.4 and now i m using Kitkat in it

If you are agree i will send you steps to flash rom

sandals100

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
If you are interested in the idea of rooting your phone there are some very important things that you must know.
1) Your warranty for you phone WILL be voided
2) You CAN 'un-root' your phone

Before attempting to root your phone you need to find a couple of things.
1) A rom that is compatible with your phone
2) A kernel that is compatible with your phone
3) A rooting software that is compatible with your software

I have a rooted Nexus S running andriod 4.4 overclocked to 1.5 GHZ (From 1 ghz). I have had no problems with it and I have been rooted for about 2 years now. When rooting don't jump straight to the highest available andriod version for your phone, even though it says compatible with your device, it can sometimes cause problems. Try to go for an andriod version that is a few steps down the ladder eg: 4.4 to 4.2 or lower. Run this for a few days to see how it goes if it all runs smoothly you can upgrade.

Now with overclocking, you need to know a couple of things.
1) Setting the clock too high can make your phone unstable
2) Overclocking your phone will cause it to heat up under heavy use or sometimes due to extended periods (1.5+ Hours)
When overclocking take intervals, lets say that the highest clock setting for your phone is 1.5 GHZ, you don't want to jump straight to that, you might try 1.25GHZ and run that for about a week just to see device stability. If all is good then you can max out. There are much more features associated with overclocking and rooting but I don't want to do all the work for you so have fun :p.

Guavas

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Dear Aleksee, i'm sorry that I have to tell you this but it is near impossible to force a higher version of android onto your phone.
Rooting wouldn't really solve anything, it would only make your phone less secure. Running Cyanogenmod with android 4.0 or higher (android 3.x is only for tablets) would make your phone really slow and would reduce the battery life (in addition to any other bugs that may occur).
Android is an amazing Operating System; you can get it on phones, tablets, media players, netbooks, E-readers, etc. An advantage of Android is that it's Open Source (google "GNU license" for more info) and free, so its easy for manufacturers to use it.
A disadvantage of this is that Android needs to be modified for use on certain devices, for copyright and advertising reasons.
Basically, when Google releases a new version of Android, Google Nexus devices (like Sandal100's) will receive it immediately.
What companies like LG, Samsung, HTC, Motorola (owned by google, but still), Huawei, etc. have to do is change it to support the hardware in their devices (some components are open source, some are closed source, and the minimum hardware requirements of the new version of android, like the minimum amount of ram must be met) and manufacturers also change it to make it "unique", by changing interfaces, blocking off certain settings and installing their own apps (Samsung for example has ChatOn, kies, group play and allshare).

Long story short: you have two options;
1. Admit defeat and see if you can use some other device (like a computer) to run the app or try to find a similar app. Android 2.3.6 is still a good OS, and lots of people still use it because lots of app developers still support it (Android SDK lets you choose what versions you want to support).
2. Buy a new device (not recommended unless you plan on buying a new device anyway). My advice would be a Nexus (LG Nexus 5 phone, Asus Nexus 7 or Samsung Nexus 10) as you get the best value for money and get the longest software support.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

The differences in versions of Android actually lie more in the hardware than they do in the software. That's counting for things like placement of buttons, home screen functionality and so on and so forth. And for the most part cell phone operating systems are different in that the BIOS of your phone is coded specifically for that version of the operating system. You can run Android 4.0 - 4.4 on a newer cell phone operating system that's for sure, but it won't be as responsive and it won't run as smoothly. If your phone is made for Android 4.3 (HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG G2, Motorola Moto X, etc., etc.,) then you have a better chance of getting the Kit Kat 4.4 update than someone who's running an phone that runs Android 2.36 or better.

sandals100

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

My variant of the Samsung Nexus S was only meant to receive updates up to the andriod version 4.1.2. Which was the reasoning behind my need to root the phone. I currently have KitKat (Andriod 4.4.2), this rom made my phone about 20% faster than it was previously. I noticed better boot times and overall increased speed. Even though for the OP's phone may not have a port of KitKat or a newer version of JellyBean he may still have roms for the 4.1 which depending on the developer of the rom will make the phone much better most of the time. The nexus s I have is almost 4 years old and it handle's 4.4 like a boss, so with that state of mind, the OP's phone should have no trouble hosting one of the newer versions of andriod (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)

aleksee

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
well the thing is i have metro pcs and this phone is eligible for the $25 unlimited talk and text plan which i've been using for a couple of months (i think i bought the phone 4 months ago) and i called and asked if there is any phone running android 4 or higher under the plan and was told no.

honestly i was just asking because i really wanted the final fantasy vi game app on my phone but it seems as though its not possible and if i root it it probably will struggle with it anyway....ah well. thanks everyone

Ravi Gagan

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Dear aleksee, Final Fantasy IV supports above android 2.3.3 and your phone is fully capable of running the game so there's no need to root your mobile for it
If you are amateur in rooting knowledge then I advice you not to root because you won't be able to control the outcomes

Ibhusal

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Nobody can force an android to take update if the update option is not manually designed in the official system ROM. Just think that if the mobile's software and hardware both are specially designed not to accept any update, how can you force an electronic system? You simply brick your device. If anybody could force an android update against company privilege, every house could be called service centre. If any day the company itself designs any update, then you may update it manually. Rather the company itself give u information on how can you update it. I bricked my Gionee/ Colors mobile softly five times and each time the company's service centre fixed it. I am not an expert but I have spent long time with many more useless and baseless rumors on XDA Forum. I experimented many but failed. If you want new outlook, my advice is to use go launcher and other apks, but don't root ur mobile. Even if u root, Don't ever use SP Flash and Droid TOOLs, unless you are outstandingly perfect in this field and unless you have all the necessary right versions of ROM, Kernel etc. By f>>king a cow you can't produce human baby. A Cow is only for bull. Be clear.