can I get 4k uhd from a standard broacast roof antenna?

dotandmarty

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
I'm thinking of getting a 4k uhd tv, but I don't use any cable services. Instead I use a standard over the air rooftop antenna with coax cable. Can these options be compatible and what can I expect for resolution?

Solution
Over the air broadcast TV is 1080i or 720p (better for fast motion). There is a standard for UHD broadcasting being developed and it was recently demonstrated at the CES show in Vegas. No TVs have tuners compatible with it yet.
Be aware that cheaper UHD sets tend to be pretty bad at upconverting standard HD to UHD so make sure you see the set you are interested in buying on a regular HD signal. It may make more sense to get a better quality 1080p TV for your application. OLED TVs have the best picture quality at the moment.
Over the air broadcast TV is 1080i or 720p (better for fast motion). There is a standard for UHD broadcasting being developed and it was recently demonstrated at the CES show in Vegas. No TVs have tuners compatible with it yet.
Be aware that cheaper UHD sets tend to be pretty bad at upconverting standard HD to UHD so make sure you see the set you are interested in buying on a regular HD signal. It may make more sense to get a better quality 1080p TV for your application. OLED TVs have the best picture quality at the moment.

Solution