Can I get a rec for universal remote to control LG smart TV and Denon DRA-395 receiver?

May 16, 2018
Hi guys. I just bought a 55" LG OLED TV. I'm very happy with the picture but, of course, come to find out that I couldn't connect it to my Denon receiver, which is, TBH, circa 2005. So, bought an adapter and now the sound is going to the receiver and sound is great but, can't control the sound with the TV remote. My understanding is that I'm probably looking at a universal remote, which isn't the end of the world, but I want to make sure it will control both things, and maybe even the new Xfinity settop box I just got. This doesn't seem like it should be rocket science as the Denon DID have a remote. Just wondering if you guys could help shorten my search. Thanks in advance!

Solution
They all access the same database of IR commands so will all work.
The more expensive ones offer the option of RF or WIFI control so can be used when the equipment is behind closed doors.
Macros work better with RF or WIFI too. A macro allows you to press one button to turn on and configure all the gear for the source you want to watch, When you do this with IR you have to aim the remote while all the IR commands are firing off. This can take 5-10 seconds. If you miss one command it messes up the sequence and leaves you with something not set correctly.
You should get a Logitech Harmony remote. Those are programmed online from their huge database of IR codes and it isn't to hard to do.
Some models work over RF which is more reliable than IR, Some use Wifi. They also have apps you can use.
Many people prefer a hard button remote for AV gear. You have to keep looking down at the phone or tablet where as with a regular remote you can feel the button. Much easier when you need to fast forward , reverse and go into play for a DVR or DVD. You can use both a hard button remote and app if you get the correct model.

May 16, 2018

Thank you sir. I notice a lot of remotes in this line over a large swath of price points. I only have a few devices to control and all direct line. Should I be good with even the $40 version?

They all access the same database of IR commands so will all work.
The more expensive ones offer the option of RF or WIFI control so can be used when the equipment is behind closed doors.
Macros work better with RF or WIFI too. A macro allows you to press one button to turn on and configure all the gear for the source you want to watch, When you do this with IR you have to aim the remote while all the IR commands are firing off. This can take 5-10 seconds. If you miss one command it messes up the sequence and leaves you with something not set correctly.

Solution