Can i install drivers wrongly?

doggerdaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
hi,
Ive just reformatted due to malware/virus and i went to asus for my MB chipset/audio and install both. i went to nvidia and install gfx driver and ran there tool to see if my drivers are upto date for my MB. It said i needed the 750 driver so i got it and started to install and it asked to reboot because it found other drivers. When it started back up it said wizard was doing some thing in the back gorund "do you want to continue" and i clicked NO. I think it didnt install correctly. I look into devise manager and i have 1 unidentifed thing

What can i do or can i remove MB drivers and install them again? Is the asus chipset driver different to nvidias MB driver?

So far i installed:

chipset driver from asus
audio from asus
GFX from nvidia
MB from nvidia
audio from nvidia

Am i doing any thing wrong?

Hope some kind person can help a guy in need. (in need of a kick to head head) lol

pc spec:
win7 ult 64 bit
E8400 hyper 212 plus heatsink/fan oc @ 3.2ghz
asus p5n-D 750I
4 gig ddr2 800 ocz reaper HPC
GTX260 sp216
ocz gamesXtreme 700W
320 gb HD 7200 rpm

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
The Asus motherboard drivers for the chip set come from Nvidia. I always use motherboard manufacturers drivers for my motherboards since they are approved for the product.

aford10

Distinguished
Most likely what happened, was you started to manually install the driver, and at the same time, the PC notified you that it found some new hardware. You can cancel it's prompt to install the driver, since you're already installing it manually.

If you're concerned about the driver, you can go to the device manager, and uninstall the device, and then reinstall the driver.

doggerdaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

What do i delete?

aford10

Distinguished
Look at the device manager, and see what's installed. Is all your hardware in there?

Look at the motherboard drivers. Are they all listed?

If not to ^, you've likely found the unidentified item. Then you right click, and uninstall it from the device manager, and restart. Then manually download and install the needed driver.