Can I install new touchpad driver?

Mechanics55

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
I have had the ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 gaming laptop for about 5 months now. However, the trackpad is absolutely horrible and has a massive delay. I was wondering if it is possible to install the Synaptics ClickPad driver to the laptop instead, because I have a HP Envy touchscreen laptop and the trackpad on there is fantastic, almost on par with MacBook trackpads, and has the Synaptics ClickPad driver. Currently I have installed the ASUS ROG touchpad driver, or something along those lines. I also have to use the ASUS SmartGesture software in order to swipe down and what not, and this software makes the trackpad even more inaccurate. So am I able to install the Synaptics clickpad driver in order to improve responsiveness of my current trackpad? Because right now this $1,100 laptop has me very annoyed at the purchase.

Mechanics55

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014

So am I just screwed with a delayed trackpad, or is there another solution?

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Yes SOMETIMES you can install a different driver. It will require some research on your part to figure out which controller you have and IF there is a driver available from the manufacturer. I've done this on several Dell notebooks, one of them I was able to activate gestures even.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 0
alexandru123123 Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 3
venkateshkumar R Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 5
G Laptop Tech Support 0
Parasonixomen Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 0