can i purchasr a dvr to connect to my indoor antenna thst is connected to an hd tv with built in wifi?

hamptop

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
I want to totally get away from all cable providers. My new tv is HD with built in wireless. I am able to watch local channels with an indoor antenna. I can watch netflicks you tube ect. I would like to buy a DVR so I can record local programs.More than one channel at a time So just a vcr/dvd recorder is not adequate. Pleas help

Solution
I've never been one to go with proprietary DVRs as they used to be generally limited on hard drive space. 80GB was the norm, but now I'm seeing around 500GB. Yes, that may seem like a lot of room, but I (and my cable subscription) can fill that up easily. If it does fill up, then you have no choice but to delete some recordings as you cannot move those files from the DVR to a computer for example.

My recommendation would be to build a Home Theater PC that is used strictly for media viewing/recording. Hard disk space is essentially unlimited as you can simply add/replace media drives. The media format is not proprietary so you can record it on one system and view it on another.

Yes, there is a higher upfront cost, but I think it pays...
I've never been one to go with proprietary DVRs as they used to be generally limited on hard drive space. 80GB was the norm, but now I'm seeing around 500GB. Yes, that may seem like a lot of room, but I (and my cable subscription) can fill that up easily. If it does fill up, then you have no choice but to delete some recordings as you cannot move those files from the DVR to a computer for example.

My recommendation would be to build a Home Theater PC that is used strictly for media viewing/recording. Hard disk space is essentially unlimited as you can simply add/replace media drives. The media format is not proprietary so you can record it on one system and view it on another.

Yes, there is a higher upfront cost, but I think it pays for itself in the long run. It's not like you need a $1200 computer to do this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($39.20 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($67.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Directron)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 240 2GB Video Card ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case ($72.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 w/ Remote ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $593.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 15:43 EST-0500

Dual TV Tuner card with up to 1TB for media (recommend 250GB OS partition and 750GB media partition).

-Wolf sends

Solution