Can I setup a wireless access point through a split coaxial cable that is currently attached to a set-top box?

Sed8ing

Estimable
May 27, 2015
So, I am on Time Warner and am trying to figure out a solution to get better wireless access for the back half of the house.
I have tried a powerline adapter but my circuit breakers degrade the signal too much for a wireless access point to be effective and I have tried wifi extenders but also find the signal degraded to the point that I am unable to run my chromecast without stalling.
What I envision (and am unsure whether it is possible) is getting a second modem/router to hook up directly to the coaxial cable in the back of my house. The coaxial cable currently goes only to the set-top box and if I split that signal would I be able to run a modem/router from that signal/cable?
Not sure if that is clear but hopefully you can decipher my non-technical jibberish...

Solution

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
the problem might be that you will have to register the modem router with Time Warner to work, which will lead to one of three things:

1. Only one router will work because they will only give you one IP
2. They might charge you for the extra IP
3. you are lucky it will work by picking up a second IP without extra cost

Another option would be to use a MoCA setup.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/actiontec-ethernet-to-coaxial-moca-network-adapters-2-pack-black/9244136.p?id=1219007776528&skuId=9244136

Solution

Sed8ing

Estimable
May 27, 2015

Thank you for the info, I will have to consider that before proceeding but will look into the possibility of using MoCA. Some prelim research seems to imply that Time Warner may not make it easy to hook up a MoCA set-up either...