Can i transfer laptop battery cells from one battery to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsy212

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hello,

I have a HP G62 laptop, the original battery(10.8V 47Wh) is worn out(holds a bit of charge) so we bought a new one(10.8V 55Wh).. It worked but it couldn't charge and it wouldn't recognize the battery. I tried the trick with plug out cord and battery and hold the button for 30 sec but it didn't work We can't return the battery so am i am asking are the cells healthy and can they be transferred to the original one that can charge.

Regards, Marko.

Solution
if they are both Li and it's just an increase in the mAh they should work. my guess at this point is proprietary tech blocking, a special chip in the charger or pack that prevents non OEM parts replacement such as is done by apple and (cannon or epson) [Some inkjet manufacturers have tried to prevent cartridges being refilled using various schemes including fitting smart chips to the cartridges that can detect when the cartridge has run out of ink and prevent the operation of a refilled cartridge. Some manufacturers, most notably Epson and Hewlett Packard, have been accused of indicating that a cartridge is depleted while a substantial amount of ink remains.[21][22] A 2007 study found that most printers waste a significant quantity of...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

judging by the 55Wh change you quoted, no you can not. with out opening the battery encasement and looking i have no way of knowing for absolute certainy, but the jump of 8Wh is pretty darn close to the switch from battery types of NiCd to NiMh or possibly and most likely NiMh to Li. any of these switches of battery types would negate your charging devices ability to recharge the battery (built in safety feature so as not to make your battery explode).

find out what the switch in battery type was and you can possibly also buy a new charger for it to work. i have not looked if this is actually possible, but while i was going thru ebay last night for new 18V drill batteries i did see there were chargers you could buy for the various battery types for new battery retro fits to old NiCd packs when upgrading to a NiMh or Li battery.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
if they are both Li and it's just an increase in the mAh they should work. my guess at this point is proprietary tech blocking, a special chip in the charger or pack that prevents non OEM parts replacement such as is done by apple and (cannon or epson) [Some inkjet manufacturers have tried to prevent cartridges being refilled using various schemes including fitting smart chips to the cartridges that can detect when the cartridge has run out of ink and prevent the operation of a refilled cartridge. Some manufacturers, most notably Epson and Hewlett Packard, have been accused of indicating that a cartridge is depleted while a substantial amount of ink remains.[21][22] A 2007 study found that most printers waste a significant quantity of ink when they declare a cartridge to be empty. Single-ink cartridges were found to have on average 20% of their ink remaining, though actual figures range from 9% to 64% of the cartridge's total ink capacity, depending on the brand and model of printer.[23][24] This problem is further compounded with the use of one-piece multi-ink cartridges, which are declared empty as soon as one color runs low. Of great annoyance to many users are those printers that will refuse to print documents requiring only black ink, just because one or more of the color ink cartridges is depleted.]

this can apply to battery tech also. sometimes it's just a single cell that fails in the chain and prevents full charging of the other functional cells as the broken battery in the link is the same as a proverbial broken link in a chain. it can be helpful to test each cell in the old battery pack to find this out and just replace the dead ones. there's youtube videos of how to do this or you can have it done professionaly done at such places like batteriesplus.com

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.