Can I upgrade my laptops CPU?

plunkett19

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I have an HP Pavillion 15t with a 4th gen i5 4210U Dual Core Processor, would i be able to upgrade to an i7 of some sort?

Solution
You'd probably have to check with an upper tiered level support group from HP to be sure, but I find it highly unlikely as most laptop CPUs are soldered onto their motherboards and if they're not, then projected upgrades would likely exceed power and thermal design limits of the laptop.

-Wolf sends
You'd probably have to check with an upper tiered level support group from HP to be sure, but I find it highly unlikely as most laptop CPUs are soldered onto their motherboards and if they're not, then projected upgrades would likely exceed power and thermal design limits of the laptop.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
A lot of current laptop motherboards are capable of installing a new CPU chip, but most motherboards are only compatible with the chips they come with, simply so you'd have to spend more money on a whole new machine rather than buying updated hardware. Some laptops (normally high-end gaming hardware) are upgradeable to an extent, but most are built with motherboards that go "up-to" whatever's in them. HP's are usually upgradeable to an extent in terms of CPU, but you'd have to figure out what motherboard you've got and what it's capable of using beforehand. Otherwise, you'd have to find a better motherboard that will fit in the chassis that uses a better CPU, graphics card, etc.