Can I upgrade this laptop for better performance and gaming?

zaitsev04

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
Hello,
I am curious if it is possible to upgrade my current laptop. I am tech savvy but I am no professional and I am only slightly familiar with PC building. I am asking for recommendations if possible as to what exactly I should upgrade given the following parameters:

HP Pavilion dv6 notebook
Processor - AMD A8-3520M APU
Graphics - Integrated Radeon HD 6620G
RAM - 6GB (16max)

This is obviously a 64-bit system. I currently know it is possible to upgrade the RAM to 16 max using two 8GB sticks however I am unsure if it is possible to upgrade the graphics and if upgrading the graphics isn't possible then my question is directed towards RAM, will 16GB RAM increase any frame rate issues I am currently having while gaming?

Thank you,
Jeremy M

zaitsev04

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014

So I found an AMD A10-Series AMD A10-Series 2.5/4M Turbo frequency 3500 MHz A10 5750M APU for a pretty good price shipped from china for about 100 bucks. Do you think this would at least allow me to play games such as Endless Space, Civilization 5 on low settings with a reasonable FR (30-40)?

The benchmark values between the radeon 6620g (current) and radeon 8650g are still very low although this will basically double my processor speed. I have a desktop with a radeon 5770 and a quad core 2.5 intel and that surprisingly allows me to play whatever game I want normally on mid-range to good settings, of course I can't use max settings on newer 2013/14 titles. The benchmark for that graphics card is around the same if not a little better than the AMD integrated cards for my laptop so I am assuming the issue I am running into is possibly processor ability and getting a better one may alleviate this?

Thanks

Blaise170

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

You also need to be careful with upgrading the processor. While some laptops allow you to change it, most do not. If you can, it may also void your warranty.

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Every laptop I have ever had you could change the CPU. The only laptops I have seen where you cant change the cpu are the very low end models.