can I upgrade this laptops CPU?

upwake

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I want to see if I can upgrade my laptop i just won on ebay CPU to a dual core, here is my laptop, and here is what I want to upgrade too. Can I do it?

Laptop specs:http://www.manualslib.com/manual/329332/Toshiba-Satellite-C655d-S5091.html

CPU I want:http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Turion-TMP520SGR23GM-2-3GHz-Mobile/dp/B009Z6WACG

^ I found some used ones on eBay .

Solution
the difference would be too small to matter i think, and yes, it's higher tdp 10-20W (will drain the battery faster and will generate more heat). i tend to apply the "if it works don't fix it" logic for laptops, there's soo much that can go wrong when you switch the cpu in one.

you have to remember the're not built like desktops to be easily changeble/upgradable so most have a cooling slution designed for exactly that, not 5W more. if you do decide to change it make sure you have good thermal paste around and post your results.

for light usage you'd be better served by a ssd instead of the harddrive it currently has. seeing as it has a sata port you could replace that with a small 60-120gb ssd - something that would work well on...

upwake

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Why wouldn't you reccommend it? Battery drain and over heat? I'm only using it for internet browsing and maybe some Minecraft lol. I have a gaming PC I built so don't need it for gaming. Do you think the 1 core is fine on this laptop?

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
the difference would be too small to matter i think, and yes, it's higher tdp 10-20W (will drain the battery faster and will generate more heat). i tend to apply the "if it works don't fix it" logic for laptops, there's soo much that can go wrong when you switch the cpu in one.

you have to remember the're not built like desktops to be easily changeble/upgradable so most have a cooling slution designed for exactly that, not 5W more. if you do decide to change it make sure you have good thermal paste around and post your results.

for light usage you'd be better served by a ssd instead of the harddrive it currently has. seeing as it has a sata port you could replace that with a small 60-120gb ssd - something that would work well on sata 1 or 2. that's easy to change and you would really see a bigger improvement compared to the cpu. + better battery life :D

Solution

upwake

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Alright thank you very much, I don't know much about changing hardware in laptops so you taught me something, i haven't received the laptop yet so I'll see how it works and might get an sad since it's easy to change depending on my budget. Thanks!

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
look for some videos on how to change but should be 4 screws and 5 minutes job. crucial and kingston should have the best budget ssd-s at 120-ish gb. but check how it goes first when you receive it.

p.s. make sure it's not a trick/scheme, don't hand out any personal/financial data

upwake

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Nahh it isn't a scam payment was done through eBay PayPal. I was able to when the bid at 71 dollars but 20 dollar shipping lol. The guy has good feesback only minor scratches and plastic missing from vent fan.