can i use 65w wall adapter instead of 90w not using internal batteries

bev12bev

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Can i use the 65w laptop wall adapter (HPDV5) instead of 90w, i do not use it to charge batteries. Just checking as bought replacement and they said it was ok. Also if it is ok will it make my laptop slower or what difference will it make.
The replacement is an HP brand, but if i buy another make to replace it, what would be a good brand as i am reluctant to buy another HP one at 30.00 if i can buy an equivalent adapter same quality but cheaper.

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Well, it depends heavily on your hardware.

If your hardware draw more than 65W watts, than you'll have a power shortage situation. The result may be loss of performance, severe CPU and GPU throttling, instability or the laptop just shutting down. If the 65W brick is well built, it will handle fine being pushed to it's limits, but I've heard of poor quality bricks that can even be damaged if you draw more than what they can offer.

If your hardware don't, than you should be fine.

Anyway, I'd not recommend to use an underpowered brick. If the laptop uses a 90W part, it's not a really good idea to use a brick that can provide barely more than 2/3 of this value.