Can multiple Bluetooth speakers be connected to my computer and play at the same time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthbomb

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I can pair several Bluetooth speakers to my laptop, but can I make them all connect and play from the one Bluetooth connection at the same time?
As of now, I have to select one speaker to connect and play at one time. I would like to play several in different rooms at the same time.

Solution
There are stereo Bluetooth speakers with two separate enclosures you can move around, but of course if you have music that plays left or right, if you move one of the speakers to another area you will have issues. If you can select Mono output then that will sound fine since the left/right mix will be send to one speaker.

stingray2756

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
Not sure if anyone here is looking at Bluetooth speakers that are more on the portable side, but if you buy a Logitech UE Megaboom you can pair up to 6 of them i believe via bluetooth from one streaming source like your phone or laptop. I have two of them and it works great. Its very simple to set up and bluetooth range for the speakers is rated at 100 ft. The Megaboom speakers are also made for outdoors so they are waterproof and very rugged.

Yu_G

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

So, can you actually hook one streaming device (e.g smartphone) to 6 megabooms and hear one song plays SIMULTANEOUSLY on all 6 megabooms?

lifereinspired

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
With a little creativity and some Chromecast Audio devices, you can accomplish what you're wanting. You'd need to either use an AUX/3.5mm stereo in or get an adapter to convert to bluetooth. Casting is a lot better than I thought initially in that it doesn't cast notifications or phone calls but will stream music/video uninterrupted. You can even leave with your phone and the music will continue to stream at home. You can cast to one individual CC audio or you can create groups that you cast to. Either will give you Sonos like whole house audio for a small fraction of the cost.

Billy_27

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
jlust286, thank you for your post. It really excites me with the thought of being able to do this. I connected 2 bluetooth speakers to my computer and installed Voice Meeter as you described. I haven't had your success though. One issue is I have only been successful getting Voice Meeter to play one of the bluetooth speakers. Sadly, that one connection sounds pretty bad, not a clear connection like I get with my ipod and android smartphone. Of course the other problem is only one of the two speakers is playing my computer audio. The A1 connection that works is "WDM: Headphones (Bluetooth....)". I have tried all the other options on A2 but the only other one that works is my computer speakers. In my Windows Bluetooth settings both speakers are connected. Also, if I don't use Voice Meeter and only Windows Bluetooth to play audio through 1 speaker the sound is good. Any ideas/advice as to what I need to do? Thanks much!

Ingress

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

WOW! It works like a treat! Perfect solution, THANK YOU!!!!

Erik_10

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
I'm a hardware/firmware develop in SF. We have a small startup focused on solving this problem. Our solution allows you to connect up to 16 speakers that can be controlled by a single device.

We're still in the early prototype phase though.

Tom_66

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

Do you have a link to this development software mate?

Felipe_5

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016
I have the similar dilemma. I have a Logitec Bluetooth speaker and Bose Sound dock. I would like to have them both stream music from my phone. The problem is the Bose has an apple docking station and the Logitec is a bluetooth device with an AUX 3.5mm input.

Solution: Change the wireless signal from Bluetooth to FM

Output (phone) - purchase a transmitter to convert music from the headphone jack to FM signal.
Input (Bose) - IPod FM transmitter for docking station, basically be able to play FM station through your docking station
Input (Logitec) - FM input to to 3.5mm Jack

I haven't purchased the components yet but if someone on this stream has I'd be curious to see the components you purchased and weather you liked the results.

jerbo2

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
just paired 2 Oontz Angle bluetooth speakers to my Dish Satellite receiver. Sync is perfect. i paired each one seperately,then turned BT off on receiver then back on & :bounce:both speakers paired. :bounce:

lifereinspired

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I don't know if this will help anyone but I'll share another solution I came up with that's been working well for us.

MeeAudio makes a really good quality Bluetooth transmitter that natively send to two Bluetooth speakers. It will accept mini stereo or optical digital input. If you only need two speakers connected, your all set. However, if you need more than that, you can get creative with a "switch" or splitter that allows more than one of these to be connected at the same time. I'm using an optical switch (4 in/2 out) to accomplish this. The switch even allowed you to choose with whether you output via output 1 alone, 2 alone, 1 & 2 the same simultaneously, or 1 & 2 two different streams simultaneously. So it's pretty versatile. If you need more, use a larger switch/splitter with additional MeeAudio transmitters.

Hope that helps. It's been working well for me.

MeeAudio BT Transmitter: http://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Headphone-Transmitter/dp/B016NIOOH2

Optical Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BB0GY1C/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1458356602&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=4x2+optical+switch&dpPl=1&dpID=41UpGvjOBlL&ref=plSrch

cammisa

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
do you connect your bluetooth transmitter to the splitter?

is this how the connection works?

input/sound source > splitter > bluetooth transmitters > output/bluetooth audio device

Lavriv

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I have same issue and I just gave up of Bluetooth solutions. Bluetooth isn't designed to do this as other posted above. Instead I put simple FM modulator/transmitter and listen my music in any room on FM radio (Less than $15 solution). It works just fine in any room, starting from my radio alarm clock in bedroom to big Hi-Fi system in living room which reproduce my TV sound as well

Tony319

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hi there

I thought i would respond incase anyone else is still having the issue. I was trying to find a way to pair 2 bluetooth speakers to play at the same time with music from my phone. I was told by many that bluetooth was not setup to play that way and I would have to buy Sonos speakers.

Yesterday I purchased 2 google chromecast devices and connected them to each speaker. Then I grouped them. You have to use wi fi though.

They are paired and works like a charm. Finally found the solution. If anyone wants to learn about google chrome cast youncan read below. Hope this helps.

https://www.google.ca/chromecast/tv/

winbo88

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

BT was invented to instruct devices like two people kissing each other to get known, and why do you dare kissing around with many? I am a professor at a Swiss private University (Montreux Business University) and have discussed the above problem in the Entrepreneurship class, if you are able to contribute to a solution please contact us. The problem seems to exist as design flaw since the inception of BT, so adopting standards that make the simple use of stereo or multiple bt connections is a long shot, and I hope that BT 5 will finally do the trick end of 2016. https://www.bluetooth.com/news/pressreleases/2016/06/16/-bluetooth5-quadruples-rangedoubles-speedincreases-data-broadcasting-capacity-by-800 In the meantime we experiment with Raspberry and multi BT connection apps - to make at least 2 different BT speakers of any brand re-creating the stereo effects, since humans have 2 ears.... (OMG, re-inventing HiFi or Dolby Atmos on BT is rather complicated)

JohnnyThunder

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Have you tried chaining the speakers together instead of trying to connect each one directly to the device? I know JBL, Braven and even cheaper brands have offered this tech for a while. Maybe I misinterpreted the question?

B Rad_

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.