can my galaxy s2 tether my home wifi to my laptop?

LoloRich

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
I'm 430 feet from home and my Linksys WRT54GS is very undependable to this distance. But I could put my Cell phone in the window and connect. I then want my Cell to provide my Laptop a tethering of that WiFi connection to my Wrt54GS to extend the signal to my laptop about 5 feet from the Cell.

thankx,

Rich

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
As far as I know, to do this would actually require multiple WiFi antennae. Your phone only has one. It can receive a signal, or broadcast a signal, but not do both at the same time.

There is software available that allows wireless tethering from your phone to the PC via Bluetooth, if you'd like. Ie, Home WiFi > Phone > Bluetooth signal > PC.

It's also possible to simply connect your phone to the WiFi, then connect the phone to your PC via a USB cable and tether that way without any additional software or apps.

Either way though, you're going to lose a lot of speed in the process. You're likely better off buying a high gain antenna and pointing it in the direction you need.

hang-the-9

Titan
If you have hotspot capability in the phone, you can share it's internet connection. If it comes in through WiFi that is fine.

Or you can just get a real WiFi extender in the same area or use a directional antenna and not have to keep your phone setup this way.

LoloRich

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

Great I'll try tonight. I'm also thinking of trying a usb adapter stretched to a window with a usb cable with a small but heavy base on the end. I'm borderline right now.

Thanks for the repy. I'll post how it works.

Rich

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
As far as I know, to do this would actually require multiple WiFi antennae. Your phone only has one. It can receive a signal, or broadcast a signal, but not do both at the same time.

There is software available that allows wireless tethering from your phone to the PC via Bluetooth, if you'd like. Ie, Home WiFi > Phone > Bluetooth signal > PC.

It's also possible to simply connect your phone to the WiFi, then connect the phone to your PC via a USB cable and tether that way without any additional software or apps.

Either way though, you're going to lose a lot of speed in the process. You're likely better off buying a high gain antenna and pointing it in the direction you need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
InaEng Cell Phone General Discussion 0
O Cell Phone General Discussion 2
C Cell Phone General Discussion 1
G Cell Phone General Discussion 0
S Cell Phone General Discussion 1
B Cell Phone General Discussion 1
C Cell Phone General Discussion 1
H Cell Phone General Discussion 1
F Cell Phone General Discussion 1