Can my Laptop GPU support a monitor for FPS gaming?

Andrew_289

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Afternoon all,

I'm an owner of the GT72 6QD-035US DOMINATOR (GTX 970m) and I'm finding that the screen is too small for FPS games that I'm playing at the moment and I often have trouble spotting enemies at range. Therefore I'd like to purchase a large monitor that will hopefully eliminate this problem, that being said I'm a bit of a computer noob and I'm unsure if my laptop can support this endeavor.

I've been reading the forums for the past few hours and haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for and I'd like to be sure before I go spend a couple hundred dollars on a monitor. I've heard about refresh rates, some people say 144hz, other people say max 60hz, different cables can't support and so on and so forth, too confusing for a noob like me.

The specs for my laptop are here

I'm looking to purchase either of the following monitors based on your expert feedback.

This is the 144hz monitor that I'm looking at if my laptop is able to support 144hz
ASUS VG248QE 24IN Widescreen 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms HDMI DisplayPort DVI-D 3D Vision LED LCD Monitor

If not I'm looking at this 60hz monitor
ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50,000,000:1

If neither monitor is able to support then I'll just stick to the laptop monitor

I would like your opinion on feasibility of this and please keep in mind that it is for FPS gaming (Battlefield series, Player unknown Battle grounds, CS:GO) and I don't want to lose very much graphic quality.

Thank you for your time.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Andrew_289 : "Can my Laptop GPU support a monitor for FPS gaming?"