can my surround sound wotk thru my regular tv channels

kaylaharper23

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
How can I get my surround sound to play the audio playing on reuglar tv channels..ive tried a fiber optic cord from the tv to the surround sound reviever but it didnt do anything.

G

There are lots of variables here that come in to play. Probably to most common way is to connect your cable box to your receiver via an HDMI cable which can pass full surround sound, or a digital optical cable. A coax audio cable could be used also, but it isn't as good of sound in most cases.

If you don't have a cable box and are running the TV "straight from the wall" then you would have to have an "Audio Output" from the TV. This is a digital optical cable normally. However, if you have no cable box you will likely not have actual surround sound, but simulated surround sound using your receivers Dobly ProLogic system.

Keep in mind that the only time you will have actual surround sound from a TV channel is if it's a movie channel or an HD channel that is broadcasted in that format. Otherwise it's just plain ol two channel and ProLogic simulation again!

kaylaharper23

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

My satellite box doesnt have a hdmi port..just the regular red yellow and white..it has a optical port tho..but I also tried running the fiber optic cord from my satellite box to the surround sound receiver but it didnt do anything either