Solved! Can old Hard drive and old power supply affect the PC performance?

REGULARDREAMS

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Hi, I recently bought new Motherboard Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1 with AMD processor A series that running 3.5ghz. I also partnered it with GeForce GT-730 2Gb ddr3 video card. But still I experiencing hanging in my pc even if I already formatted it. The only ones that left old was my 160gb hdd and 500W power supply that came from the year 2009, are they the reason why my PC won't run to its best performance? I also have 4gb of ddr3 ram. My pc don't use all of the 4gb and displays only 3.45 usable even if my os is a 64bit Windows7 Pro. Do I also have to change my power supply and hdd to solve this? Help guys.

Solution
For PSUs, they either work or don't mostly. If a PSU is broken, it can cause weird system failures, but it would be pretty unusual for a PSU to cause the sort of performance problems you describe without completely crashing your system.

The missing RAM is probably the RAM that is devoted to your graphics.

I don't know if it is your problem, but an old hard drive can really hurt performance. I would definitely recommend upgrading to an SSD.

Your problem could also be with software, but without knowing more about what you've got running it's hard to diagnose.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
For PSUs, they either work or don't mostly. If a PSU is broken, it can cause weird system failures, but it would be pretty unusual for a PSU to cause the sort of performance problems you describe without completely crashing your system.

The missing RAM is probably the RAM that is devoted to your graphics.

I don't know if it is your problem, but an old hard drive can really hurt performance. I would definitely recommend upgrading to an SSD.

Your problem could also be with software, but without knowing more about what you've got running it's hard to diagnose.

Solution

StitchExperiment626

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I see lots of power supply failures in many items such as capacitors and power supplies are so cheap you might as well get a new one since this is 7 years old.
A SSD is good to have as 4GB of ram causes disk swapping. You said hanging so that sounds like swapping and the new computers are waiting on the hard drive. A 256GB SSD is less than $70 and is up due to shortages of memory.
Please press the I like this answer button to get this off the unanswered queue list.
Bruce G.

REGULARDREAMS

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

My power supply fan is also sounding unusual noise when I turn on my pc and the sound will get away atleast after 5mins.

My pc also slowing when I'm opening a browser. It will hang up for 5 seconds til I can reach the site I want to visit.. I also having the lagging error when I'm playing games like NBA 2k14. I first thought changing my processor to 3.5ghz and upgrading my video card will solve my problem but it is not.

Should changing the hard disk be the best solution? Or maybe one of my rams is wear off too?

Saestear

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi!
As said by others, it is unlikely to be the case of bad PSU...that would typically crash the system completely. RAMs do not wear off...they either work or don't. Your PC displays 3,5 usable out of 4 gigs, that probably means just that the 500 missing is your OS...I wouldn't worry about that. But the old HDD, that one can definatelly cause slowdowns. With today's prices, you should have no trouble getting an SSD or SSHD. Swapping (when the PC runs out of ram and has to use your HDD to have a place to store it) can lag down a mechanical harddrive pretty significantly (100% usage), but you should barely notice it with SSD, but seeing as it hangs during launching a browser, your 4 gigs should be OK unless you're opening something like 30 tabs at once and all loaded with content.

StitchExperiment626

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Yes changing the hard disk is the solution. The computer is waiting on the hard drive as it is mechanical in nature and by the size of the hard drive it indicates it old and slow. Check your disk space and see if you can get by with a 256 GB SSD that is less than $70 and if u need a 512 GB the cost is roughly $130. You don't need the speediest or the longest warranty so don't buy the best. Your boot-up times will be much quicker. You will also need a 3 1/2 inch converter tray to 2 1/2 inch to hold the SSD. You'll need a SATA cable if you don't have any. The company you buy from will provide transfer software on their web site even if it's not mentioned with the on box literature.

Bruce