Question Can the hp factory restore feature effect external hard drive if left connected?

Dec 26, 2020
I decided to reset an old laptop to factory settings. I saved the backup to an external hard drive but forgot to disconnect it before I ran the hp restore. Now most devices don't even show the external drive's connected and if they do they say it needs to be formatted to use. I really need the data if there's any way to get it back.

It should not have formatted the external drive, but really depends on exactly what happened during the restore, it may have given you several options about picking a drive letter or disk to work with. Do you remember exactly the prompts you got and how you answered them?

Dec 26, 2020
It should not have formatted the external drive, but really depends on exactly what happened during the restore, it may have given you several options about picking a drive letter or disk to work with. Do you remember exactly the prompts you got and how you answered them?
It never asked me to select a drive. It made it very clear that it would be reset to factory condition and gives you the opportunity to back up, I didn't because I'd already done so then you click next and there was nothing else for me to do until the restore was finished.