Can the laserdisc player upgrade to hdmi

firebird82

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I got a Sony Laserdisc player MDP-800 that looks very good with the S-video gold monster cable, even much better than DVD's, (Music DVD's), now I got a new TV Sony LED with the YouTube and internet connections is great but doesn't come with any S-video connection.
I see too many adapters for sale in Amazon and Ebay but witch one will be the one that I need to converter S-Video to HDMI

firebird82

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
with this adapter is true that diminishes the quality of picture and sound? or is it better to buy a receiver with S-video (in) connection and enjoy better picture quality and sound?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

the quality of the picture is going to be determined by the cable and the convertor's electronics inside.
of course we want a convertor that doesnt change the signal.. but if the s-video cord is bad, sometimes the convertor can 'fix' the bad cable by exaggerating some colors to create a match with the cable.

if they dont know what the average s-video cable is .. then it should be designed for no change.
but
it is a lot easier to buy a new s-video cord than it is to find the specific cord that matches the convertor.
so they should be making the convertor with no changes in the output.

try local stores that give you a refund policy.
if it doesnt work without making the video quality worse, bring it back and leave a review so other people know to avoid the product.
it should teach the store to 'demo' the product before they put it on their shelves.
then the store will either get better products or go bankrupt because they cant afford the better products.
both of those are better for the customer.