can this gaming laptop suffice my professional needs or is it a waste buying it if I am not going to play any games?

Feb 18, 2018
Hi, After so much of surfing and searching, I have finalized the laptop Asus ROG G501VW-FY120T Laptop (Core i7 6th Gen/16 GB/1 TB 128 GB SSD/Windows 10/4 GB). (link https://www.91mobiles.com/asus-g501vw-fy120t-core-i7-6th-gen-16-gb-1-tb-windows-10-laptop-price-in-india-97051)

My professional and personal needs are
a. Android App development
b. Java programming in an IDE
c. Video editing in Davinci Resolve or any other best s/w in the market
d. OpenVPN
e. Audacity
f. MS Office full package and Onenote preinstalled.
g. A quadcore processor for handling 8 threads at a time.

But my brother says that it is a gaming laptop and is not for a person like me who doesn't play games at all. what is the difference between a gaming laptop and a normal laptop or business laptop? Does the laptop I have selected satisfies my professional needs?? Or is it waste buying it if I am not going to play any games? Video editing is my primary need. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Solution

Lutfij

Splendid
Are you sure you'd like to purchase that? You could find a laptop with a GTX1050 on it for a similar price range in your region, perhaps. Regardless, if you did invest in a workstation grade laptop then you're easily looking at a price 3 times higher. IMHO, for your workload and app list, you're good to go. On another note, it's quite possible that you've dipped your toes into gaming when you have that odd chance for R&R ;)

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

It's not a gaming laptop. However if you can I would suggest you to get a 7th gen i7 or even 8th gen. Your workload isn't that intensive and if you want long battery life you should look at some new 8th gen i7 laptops.
If you are doing video editing you basically NEED a gpu for gpu acceleration when using the program and exporting. Otherwise it will be a laggy experience. (nvidia is best in this case). For the price you are going for you can easily find a laptop loaded with a gtx 1050.

Solution