Can this Laptop be Upgraded Lenovo y50-70 touch

schmidtb26

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
I have recently built a high end gaming pc and I am still using this laptop as my portable.

To say the least it feels a little slower to this pc and I was wondering if there was anything I could do that would be able to bring it (somewhat) up to par with my current desktop. Or if this is at all possible with this laptop as I know most laptops are difficult to upgrade.

These are my Desktop Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
$329.49
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
$27.88
MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$144.00
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$99.88
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$244.94
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
$438.99
NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
$62.99
Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
$79.99

This link is for my current laptop.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462541,00.asp

Solution
Replace the hard drive with a SSD. That will make the laptop more responsive because a SSD has much faster read / write speeds than a hard drive. The laptop will boot up faster and programs will load faster. Other than that, the only other thing you can do is upgrade the RAM. 8GB is typically enough for most people. But if you look at Task Manager and see a lot of RAM is being use by whatever programs you are using, the upgrading to 16GB can improve performance.

gooberm

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
As long as your system is clean (no viruses that are slowing it down) the biggest increase you will get is by updating drivers and removing background processes. Hit CMD-SHFT-ESC and go to the start up tab and remove anything you don't need.

Replace the hard drive with a SSD. That will make the laptop more responsive because a SSD has much faster read / write speeds than a hard drive. The laptop will boot up faster and programs will load faster. Other than that, the only other thing you can do is upgrade the RAM. 8GB is typically enough for most people. But if you look at Task Manager and see a lot of RAM is being use by whatever programs you are using, the upgrading to 16GB can improve performance.

Solution