Solved! can you boot from a hard drive of another pc into another pc

Apr 1, 2021
I have an old hard drive (PATA) of Hitachi I wondered if it was working because I didn't used it for a long time, so I gave it to my friend who have desktop, he removed his hardisk and put mine instead. He told me that it did not boot and made beeping noise. I think it would not have booted because of the difference in the configuration of my old pc and his new pc, Is my hard drive actually dead?

edit: hard disk was not beeping it was actually making sound of clicking and it was also heating up

thanks

Last edited:
Solution
No he had a converter. Thanks I also want to know why was my hard disk beeping?Please assist me

thankyou

Using a converter adds another point of failure, it may be the converter that is not working properly. If you were trying to get the data off it, you can try another converter, or have someone with the right tools look at it. If you don't need the data, it's useless using such an old disk now considering how cheap newer drives are.
Probably not, but if your friend's system has a PATA/IDE port, it's not THAT new.
Generally speaking, you're correct in that taking a boot drive from one system to another won't likely work, but that doesn't mean the drive is dead.

-Wolf sends

Apr 1, 2021
Probably not, but if your friend's system has a PATA/IDE port, it's not THAT new.
Generally speaking, you're correct in that taking a boot drive from one system to another won't likely work, but that doesn't mean the drive is dead.

-Wolf sends
No he had a converter. Thanks I also want to know why was my hard disk beeping?Please assist me

thankyou

thankyou

Using a converter adds another point of failure, it may be the converter that is not working properly. If you were trying to get the data off it, you can try another converter, or have someone with the right tools look at it. If you don't need the data, it's useless using such an old disk now considering how cheap newer drives are.

Solution
Apr 1, 2021
Ohh thankyou