Can you format a netbook without a cd/dvd drive? Windows 7 CD provided

chrisora13

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I want to format my netbook (it got stuck on recovery mode and tries to fix itself, but leads to a Blue screen after a few minutes) I really don't have any important files on this Laptop, so formatting the laptop would be my only choice now, if you guys still have other instructions on how to fix without any files getting removed, but I really don't mind getting it deleted.

Note: I have a computer that I can use, I have an original CD copy of windows 7 starter edition for my netbook. it has no cd drive. I have a USB flash drive 4 Gb

I saw in other threads about the steps using UNetbootin, I tried this part, but I got stucked on the part when I have to choose an ISO file (I don't have an ISO file of Windows 7, only a CD)

can you guys help me with this conflict? I really don't want to download an Windows 7 ISO file, I have slow internet, it would take 5-6 hours to finish download.

thanks guys if ever you reply as soon as possible, I also apologize if I have any grammatical error, you may correct me if you want, English isn't really my mother tongue :)

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You have the correct idea. Just make a bootable windows 7 flash drive using a computer with a CD drive. I have done this for Windows XP many times but have no hands on experience using a bootable flash drive for Windows 7 but from what I understand its even easier. Google "bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive" that should point you to the information you need.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

chrisora13

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I checked on your link, this also needs an ISO file to boot windows 7 on a usb flash drive.. :(
I need a program that can boot windows 7 by opening my CD, i know this is a little confusing, I can't explain it well enough
is there any freeware that lets me convert my CD to an ISO file? would really help if it converts fast.. :)

to clarify: I don't have an ISO file, only CD.. UNetbootin and Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool (the program in your link) needs an ISO file, I don't have one. :p

chrisora13

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

oh, I apologize for that. xD
I'll have to follow the instructions and I'll keep posted if I made any changes.. :D

chrisora13

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Here's the update:
I successfully formatted the netbook and then I installed browsers and drivers afterwards..
on one installation, the installer freezed, even at task manager, I can't do anything to close the installer, and so I hard resetted the netbook.. (Note: I was Installing Chrome that time)
when I restarted the netbook, I got stuck on startup repair, is their a fix in this? is this a software related problem? or a hardware related problem?
hoping for your fast feedback.. :)