Can you help me troubleshoot my Acer Aspire 5740 that shuts off by itself after logging in to windows?

logo15

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I have an acer laptop (aspire 5740) and I had a water problem a while ago. But everything seems to be fine as my laptop turns on (battery is fried and makes problems, but AC works ok).

Now the problem starts. My laptop with AC goes all the way to the windows desktop screen and after 3-5 minutes shuts off by itself. There is no thermal issue as I double checked and applied new pastes and cleaned the mobo and fan. So I thought it might be either the AC plug or the fuse.

Whats your opinion on this? Shall I try changing the jack (or fuse), or just take it to a techy (and pay probs way too much). Is there anything else I could try to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking the issue here is that your laptop is pulling more than the ~65W the power adapter can provide - if you can do it before shut down, try putting the computer into econo mode (control panel - power options) and see where you get. If the laptop was plugged into the power adapter at the time of the water event, the adapter may have suffered some (and not actually able to provide 65W continually anymore) or, you may simply be hitting a point where the laptop is asking for more than that and is being shut down as a result.
It's an option before throwing $$$ at it

logo15

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks C12Friedman,

Yes both battery and power adapter were plugged during that event. I will try to see if it works in economy mode and also I have a spare adapter from my previous laptop to try and see. Shall I exclude the possibility of a jack or fuse problem?