Solved! Can you recommend a 3D TV based on these?

jebediahmontana

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Can you recommend a good 3D TV?
Hi, I want to buy a 3D TV but I can’t decide on which one. I have a few considerations so if you guys could recommend a 3D TV that somewhat fits these, that would be great.
• Full HD
• High quality 3D images but also good 2D images
• It would be nice if the TV has a 2D to 3D conversion feature
• Comfortable and not likely to cause headache or eyestrain (10-13-year-old kids will be watching this too)
• Great for gaming
• 47 or 55 inches
• My budget is about $2000
Thanks a lot.

Solution
i have know a manager of a major store, sells product based on their capabilities, not price,, recommends the samsung models.
to be honest, go to the store and see them in person, is what I always tell people, every person has a different perception of what they like
turn the volume up, too,,, we bought a tv and didn't know till we got home that the model has worst speakers ever (was a toshiba - went back and got LG (not a 3d model)

any tv that has 3d 'high quality' will have to have great 2d picture as well (90-95% of tv viewing will be in 2d) -- as for eyestrain, you are gonna get some especially when first watching these,, something to get used to.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i have know a manager of a major store, sells product based on their capabilities, not price,, recommends the samsung models.
to be honest, go to the store and see them in person, is what I always tell people, every person has a different perception of what they like
turn the volume up, too,,, we bought a tv and didn't know till we got home that the model has worst speakers ever (was a toshiba - went back and got LG (not a 3d model)

any tv that has 3d 'high quality' will have to have great 2d picture as well (90-95% of tv viewing will be in 2d) -- as for eyestrain, you are gonna get some especially when first watching these,, something to get used to.

Solution

hamza510

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
look you'll get alot of strain with 3d tvs which have active 3d glasses... i wouldn't recommend a sony because they have infrared glasses even if you move slightly they'll reset causing alot of stress on the eyes... plus the active glasses offered by sony and samsung are themselves heavy not so comfortable, and sony and samsung offer these glasses only... i would personally recommend the LG cinema 3d it has BY FAR the BEST 3d yet. light weight glasses and extremely cheap... the glasses you wear to a cinema those glasses work with the tv... its a little more expensive than the others but i would say if you're spending so much already why not add a little more and get a better thing... plus it wont get outdated soon. and the 2D conversion to 3D is also very amazing. do check it out. You wont regret it. :)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I base my recommendation base on reliability, next is features. I've witness many times, read and heard a lot of people returned Sumsung products due to fault. Few on LG and even less on Sony. Some might say otherwise but is my experience. So if you doubt me then do your research a little more which I believe that's what jebediahmontana's doing.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
you are going to read alot more about crappy vs good since someone is 100 times more likely to complain about a product before they would ever compliment someone for a good one.

the guy i buy tvs from won't knowingly sell me something not good, I have purchased 7 tvs from him,, and with the exception of the bad speakers from the toshiba,, every model has been a winner,,, and the only reason he didn't know about the speakers is because they don't turn em up in the store to listen to...

Samsung has greatly improved their fab process from 5 years ago,, LG has always been near the top,, sony on the other hand may last (or not,, that's what just died on my father in law's after 2 years) - i don't think the product can hold a light to its competition in terms of performance, features, or ease of use.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Then you agree that if you hear fewer complaints about a product... it means it's doing something good.

hamza510

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Rexter i've been extremely loyal to the sony brand. every single crt tv in my house is tv... NO ONE IN MY FAMILY HAS A CRT TV WHICH ISN'T SONY... its been more than 15 years since we've been extremely loyal to sony, but with what sony is doing nowadays i think you should do research... i agree that samsung models are replaced much more often than other brands... but for LG i haven't seen any complaints yet. NONE! you're telling me to do research, my friend its been 4 months now that i've been searching for a good led for my room. and i've seen 100-s of models and i'm saving jebediahmontana his time and sending him my research of four months to compare... after four months i'm still stuck between the lg cinema 3d andd the samsung series 7 7000. its a difficult choice. but i think i'll go for lg because it has better 3d and is flicker free which means no strain at all. Rexter i recommend go into the market and check things out yourself. sony is way behind now. the battle for top is going on between lg and samsung for the past couple of years they keep switching between themselves. its been a really tough contested one but nowadays LG has the upper hand because they are the first one to introduce cinema 3D in tv-s. I wouldn't waste even a $100 on sony let alone a $2000, jebediahmontana must have been saving up for quite some time now and he would want something that he would enjoy the hell out of. Oh and Rexter if you dont believe me about the infrared 3D glasses go ask any customer sales guy he'll confirm that. and BTW ever heard of the magic remote control feature... No model of sony even their best one the HX925 doesn't offer that feature while both the samsung and LG do. Please do your research before you recommend people so that they dont end up wasting their money.

And if you want your tv-s to be more durable just install a stabaliser or a high-low voltage protector. every single TV would be more durable woth those things protecting it. and if you talking about durability nothing compares to the durability of panasonic's electronics, mark my word friends a panasonicwould last twice as much as any other brand. (self-experienced)

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
in my opinion sony is coasting off some of its past greatness, i have yet to walk into a store and see a sony and nothing else in the store have a better picture or more features (unless its a sonystore) --- it would be different if you went up and sony and another brand were almost identical,, but that isn't how it is,, you will see a sony, then 3 or 4 others typically be way nicer,,,samsung, lg, sharp & panasonic

but like i said before, go to the store and see the tv in person, every one sees a tv differently from the next,, should help you make your decision

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

That just prove that the TV is good and that's why your family keep buying from the same company. Unless your family gets them for free. Just a question though, how long have you been loyal to Sony?

... And if you want your tv-s to be more durable just install a stabaliser or a high-low voltage protector. every single TV would be more durable woth those things protecting it. and if you talking about durability nothing compares to the durability of panasonic's electronics, mark my word friends a panasonicwould last twice as much as any other brand. (self-experienced)
Just to clear things out here though, I wasn't implying to jebediahmontana to purchase Sony brand, I am suggesting him to check the brand's offering. As I mentioned earlier, I base my decision on my experience and not just by reading or hearing about others experience. However, I do respect if that's your experience and your opinion.

The Stabilizer you mentioned is not needed if the line is clean however, the high-low voltage regulator is called Automatic Voltage Regulator mostly found on UPS (un-interrupt power supply) or APS (automatic power supply) is a better protection than the voltage stabilizer.

That is my experience and that's my thoughts.

hamza510

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
That just prove that the TV is good and that's why your family keep buying from the same company. Unless your family gets them for free. Just a question though, how long have you been loyal to Sony?

its been more than twenty five years for my family and i'm 17 and yet i have nothing other than sony in my house so the brand loyalty is all my lifetime till now... and rexter when sony has finally started its decline we have to admit it.

The Stabilizer you mentioned is not needed if the line is clean however, the high-low voltage regulator is called Automatic Voltage Regulator mostly found on UPS (un-interrupt power supply) or APS (automatic power supply) is a better protection than the voltage stabilizer.

ok to begin with you have no idea what i mean by the high-low protector. a regulator and a stabilizer are the same thing. Ever heard of a "Saver"? That is the "Protector" i am talking about. The better "Protectors" give surge protection which a ups does not offer. try to understand what people are actually saying, before you try to act all smart!

My advice to sony they should give up on making televisions while they still have some reputation left. Oh and BTW i have a sony LED and a Samsung LCD and honestly i like the Samsung better, Is that enough personal experience for you?

No Offence.

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
we all have diffo views on tvs. but hamza510 is right. sony can not keep up with all the tvs of today.
i was in a shop where a guy i no works. every guy in the shop told me to choose panny or samsung. leave the sony and lgs alone there useless.

but i will say lg tvs are poor my sister has one she hates the thing. and no matter where iam in her house i can not see the screen properly. to much light. the usb can not play videos only music and pictures. and the tv is 1 year old.

in my views pannys are the best but we all have are views.

hamza510

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
LG's have improved quite alot, they're cinema 3D tv-s are of the next level, but puntojay you've already have had a bad experience with LG so there's not way you'll buy that again. but i'd really suggest that you check the new ones out. They're really good.

But if an official has actually said that LG's are not good could you please pm me the details because i need to buy one myself and if the cons are real then i should go for the LG. Thanks :)

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

i have been told the new 3d's are good for lg. but i would not pick one up, the new panasonic 3d tvs look good. i have a had many panasonics even got a old quintrix 28" not one of them has even gone wrong. so for me i will get a panny.

but if i was to change it would be a samsung, they look alright only a couple are good most samsungs dont have the best picture.

look under lg's forums you will see all the info on them too. mostly picture not as good as there other hd tv. some can not play videos via usb. no sd card slot on a load. but will keep my eye out on some lg 3d's if they have improved then i will look into them. :sol:

hamza510

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
yea well panasonic is really good as well as i said before they have THE MOST durable electronic devices. panasonic is love! but haven't actually heard alot about their LED-s so wont be able to say much for them. :)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I never said that Samsung, LG, Panasonic or any other brands are bad 3D TV. Like most of you who want performance. I prefer to trade-off some performance over reliability.

Among other Sony products that I have are two Sony XBR, one is version 4 connected to PS3 and one version 5 connected to Sony BD player. I'm quite happy with them.

ok to begin with you have no idea what i mean by the high-low protector. a regulator and a stabilizer are the same thing. Ever heard of a "Saver"? That is the "Protector" i am talking about. The better "Protectors" give surge protection which a ups does not offer. try to understand what people are actually saying, before you try to act all smart!

I could not find more link about the Saver but I would be grateful if you can send me a link on you are talking about.
Anyhow, the link below is what I found.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/103249207/Power_Tune_Electric_Saver_with_built.html
Plug n Saved - Here is a smart way to save up to 25% of your electrical bill.

The best Electricity Saver with the best results, the best quality & the best price in the market.

This high-tech product can monitor incoming power and adjust the input to meet the demand of electrical appliances and motors. It also eliminates energy wastage and extends the service life of electrical appliances.

Product Features
Reduces your monthly electricity bill up to 25%
Stabilises the incoming voltage
Plug and Saved - No Wiring Required
Built-in powerful lightning surge protector
Improve power factor and electrical efficiency
Environmentally friendly
Fully compliant with safety standards
Rapid Return on Investment
One (1) million Product Liability Insurance

Product Warranty
This product is warranty for 12 months against any manufacturing defect of the components.
This product is tested by TUV SUD PSB (Singapore), CE & Sirim (Malaysia)
Technical Specification:
- Voltage rating : 110V - 240V
- Rated frequency : 50Hz - 60Hz
- Storage temperature : -15C - 60C
- Packing Size : 18 x 110 x 98 (MM)
- Weight : PT-01 : 400 gram
: PT-02 : 435 gram
- Insulating material : Flame Retardant Material with high quality

The primary role of any UPS is to provide short-term power when the input power source fails. However, most UPS units are also capable in varying degrees of correcting common utility power problems:
Power failure: defined as a total loss of input voltage.
Surge: defined as a momentary or sustained increase in the main voltage.
Sag: defined as a momentary or sustained reduction in input voltage.
Spikes, defined as a brief high voltage excursion.
Noise, defined as a high frequency transient or oscillation, usually injected into the line by nearby equipment.
Frequency instability: defined as temporary changes in the mains frequency.
Harmonic distortion: defined as a departure from the ideal sinusoidal waveform expected on the line.

UPS units are divided into categories based on which of the above problems they address[dubious – discuss], and some manufacturers categorize their products in accordance with the number of power-related problems they address.[2]
Read from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply and

More link below, just in-case you don't know what I'm talking about the stabilizer.

http://www.monstercable.com/power/voltage_stabilizers/signature_series.asp

http://www.stereophile.com/powerlineaccessories/864/index.html