Can you Replace the screen on a laptop?

Fortitude

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
The screen in my laptop has a resolution of 1366x768, and a size of 15.6in
Is there a way to get a higher resolution screen installed in place of the stock screen?

Fortitude

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014

That doesn't sound correct... My cousin has a laptop with the same exact APU, but the screen has a resolution of 1920x1080.
He obviously doesn't get the same gaming experience in his native resolution, but it handles everything else just fine.

MerryBees

Estimable
Mar 22, 2015
The final answer as to whether you can install a higher res screen in your laptop will depend on the motherboard, graphics, and other insides originally installed inside your laptop. Maybe you can install a higher res screen and attendant other parts, but probably you cannot. If, for example, you and your cousin both have the same model laptop from the same company, and the company offered the option to buy a higher res screen at time of purchase, then -maybe- you can install a higher res screen in your laptop. And maybe this would even be cost effective. In this specific case, different versions of the same model of laptop would have been originally designed to work with either resolution of screen, so it -might- be possible to swap out the parts necessary for the function of the lower res screen with the parts necessary for the function of the higher res screen. This is a pretty specific example for a limited circumstance. (And I can't think of any real life examples right now.) Probably the insides of your machine will be too different from the insides of your cousin's machine to make the change. Better save your coins for a new laptop.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Where do you get this crap from?
Stop trying to help if all you're going to do is misinform - connecting to an external monitor with a higher resolution would allow output to the max res the external monitor allows, so your whole explanation is invalid.