Can you run plex from server to TV through ethernet?

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I got a hisense 55 inch smart TV the other day and today I figured I'd set up plex on my server. Surprisingly though, the TV doesn't have access to the plex app. The TV is in my garage which I recently wired with ethernet so I can get an ethernet connection from the TV to my AP, then AP to my switch, then switch to my server (that has my network file share with all my media and the server that runs plex).

So can I fun that via ethernet? Typically, it would be done via HDMI or another video input but since it's all digital data 1's and 0's, would it be possible? If so, how would I go about it?

Thanks very much.

Solution
You're correct that it's all 1's and 0's. However, it's how the stream of 1's and 0's is encoded and decoded that is different. For instance, ethernet and HDMI have have totally different encoding and decoding algorithms. That's what the Plex client on the TV would do it if was available, i.e. take the ethernet signal and decode it for video display and sound. In your case, a good solution, be the way, is the Pi/rasplex takes the ethernet signal and decodes it. Then, it re-encodes it to an HDMI signal that the TV can then decode for display and sound.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Ok, I looked at it. Like I said though, I checked yesterday in the app store so maybe the ones commenting that they have the app are seeing something different. Maybe my model doesn't have the app available to it or I'm just missing it. I'm not sure but I don't see it. I can try the URL but that seems like a very janky solution.

My main question, though, was: can I plug my TV to my server via ethernet and output plex video that way. I think the answer to that question is no but I wanted to make sure. Based on my research it seems like the TV either needs a software client or it needs another piece of hardware to act as the client and output it through a video output NOT a network output. But again, I was just checking.

It seems like it *should* work via ethernet, seeing as how it's all just digital 1's and 0's but I am pretty sure it won't. I set up a rasplex on a raspberry pi I had laying around and it works pretty well. I was a bit disappointed to have to use an additional piece of hardware to fix a software problem but it works pretty well so I can't really complain.

Anyway, if anyone else has a comment I missed, let me know. Thanks.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
You're correct that it's all 1's and 0's. However, it's how the stream of 1's and 0's is encoded and decoded that is different. For instance, ethernet and HDMI have have totally different encoding and decoding algorithms. That's what the Plex client on the TV would do it if was available, i.e. take the ethernet signal and decode it for video display and sound. In your case, a good solution, be the way, is the Pi/rasplex takes the ethernet signal and decodes it. Then, it re-encodes it to an HDMI signal that the TV can then decode for display and sound.

Solution