Solved! Can you split an ethernet signal to composite outputs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018
I have a Samsung UHD 48" TV, which I receive my video signal through an ethernet cable. I would like to hook a DVD recorder to the unit, but without a video out port on the TV the possible solution I'm contemplating is to split the ethernet-in cable to composite out connections. I would buy an ethernet spliter junction , just like the splitter junctions for a telephone line, and from one of the junctions I would install an ethernet to composite splitter. Is this possible?

Solution

I would not like to be the one raining on your parade, but MythTV (or any other software) is not a solution for what you want, even if such a solution exists. MythTV is a DVR for over-the-air TV only, and your sources are anything but. Again - there 's (almost) no legal way for you to make personal recordings of streaming content (being it YouTube, Amazon Video, Netflix, Apple TV etc)

The way pirates steal shows is by using computers and modified media players on them. Gamers have special hardware allowing them to capture HDMI signals and record them as video files, but again - nothing that would work...

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Thanks for your input. My solution seems to be a digital DVR recorder, like MythTV, and then record the videos to my DVD recorder.

I would not like to be the one raining on your parade, but MythTV (or any other software) is not a solution for what you want, even if such a solution exists. MythTV is a DVR for over-the-air TV only, and your sources are anything but. Again - there 's (almost) no legal way for you to make personal recordings of streaming content (being it YouTube, Amazon Video, Netflix, Apple TV etc)

The way pirates steal shows is by using computers and modified media players on them. Gamers have special hardware allowing them to capture HDMI signals and record them as video files, but again - nothing that would work for century-old VHS/DVD recorders.

Solution

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

I finally found a way to do what I want- since I could watch Amazon Prime and Netflix on the computer I use a screen recorder to capture the video, and then I connect the DVD recorder to my computer and record the video to DVD.

Thanks to all that collaborated with this issue that I posted.

Thanks again.