Can you transmit HDMI signal with HDMI over coax transmitter to digital TV with only a coax input?

JakeOutWest

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
Is it possible to transmit an HDMI TV signal using an HDMI over coax transmitter to a digital tuner that only has a RG-6U coax input?

I'm talking about the transmitter only as I have no use for HDMI output on the other end so no need for the receiver if this can work. Something like the Audio Authority 1341T HDMI over Single Coax Transmitter for sale here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Authority-1341T-HDMI-over-Single-Coax-Transmitter-/262092513559?hash=item3d05ee6117:g:4L4AAOSwT5tWHXBF

The HDMI signal is not encrypted and as I said the TV with the coax input has a built in digital tuner so it can receive clear QAM and/or ATSC signals. I just don't know enough about the HDMI over coax transmitter to know if any weird modulation or signal conversion is going on, nor do I know if an unencrypted HDMI signal is still not decipherable by a digital tuner with only a coax cable input.

Or if there is any other way to convert an HDMI signal to a coax cable input without losing the HD quality as the TV is an HD TV with a digital tuner (just no HDMI input!).

I know, weird setup, but it's what I've got with 1 TV.

Thanks for any help!

Solution

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
how about indicating what the TV set is... it might help. I doubt that the coax in will "demodulate" an hdmi over coax signal as it is likely proprietary signalling... that's why they sells "sender and receiver" combinations. Anyways, hdmi itself doesn't necessarily buy you anything special other than "1 cord", rgb connections work just as well providing you have good cabling and are not running long distances.

Further, hdmi signals need an "hdmi processor / interface"... if you don't have the plug, you ain't going to have the processing.

JakeOutWest

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

OK, so HDMI is some (probably) proprietary modulation that a simple coax input can't handle. Got it.

Not running the cables very far, just from 1 room to the next through a wall, about 10' total.

Thanks for that info.

JakeOutWest

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

I pulled the old TV out from the cabinet it sits in and found out it also has composite (the red, blue, and green ones) inputs. I don't know if that helps me out any, but at least it may be another option. But as I said originally the only output to the TV is HDMI, so unless if there's an HDMI to composite adapter then I'd be in the same boat as with the coax input.

*(Just looked again and saw what looks like an old S-video input as well.)

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could run HDMI to a blue ray player with HDMI input and then run composite from it to the TV if there's no adapter or is that possible? Luckily there's no encryption on the HDMI signal or I'd bet this wouldn't work at all.

Thanks again for your replies and help.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
you will find a number of hdmi to vga / rgb converters (in most case NOT cables but in the world of miniature electronics, it is possible... but beware, they need to have some form of active electronics / box built in to them). The converters will work fine and most cases will be less than $25.

Solution

JakeOutWest

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for that info. It looks like this may be my best solution. I guess I will possibly lose a tiny bit of picture quality by converting from HDMI to component, but otherwise should be good to go, right?

Also, on a side note I assume component video is better than composite, is that a correct assumption?

Thanks again to everyone who's tried to help me out here!