Solved! Can you use Noise Cancelling Headphones just to block out noise?

May 21, 2020
Can someone please tell me if I could use Noise Cancelling headphones just to block our background noise without listening to music? I'm doing post grad studies by distance and trying to concentrate of a night when I'm tired and my kids are making a lot of noise and doing my head in. Can you use noise cancelling headphones to just block out the kids without playing music? I dont deal with background noise when I'm tired and if this technology would work for me I would be saved! Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Solution
The tech works by internally sampling the sounds and combining them with the same sounds 180 degrees out of phase. There's a small lag between the source and the processed sound, so you'll hear something. My advice: Do reviews of the best over-the-ear headphones. Wear them WITH good quality foam earplugs. Good luck!

Found this....
CAN NOISE-CANCELING HEADPHONES WORK
WITHOUT MUSIC?
As we have seen, some noise-canceling headphones can indeed work without music. So
let’s briefly go over the conclusions we’ve reached today:
Headphones with passive isolation technology can still mute external sounds, but
they can’t really block them.
Headphones with active noise cancellation use a separate device with its own
power source. So if you...

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
The tech works by internally sampling the sounds and combining them with the same sounds 180 degrees out of phase. There's a small lag between the source and the processed sound, so you'll hear something. My advice: Do reviews of the best over-the-ear headphones. Wear them WITH good quality foam earplugs. Good luck!

Found this....
WITHOUT MUSIC?
As we have seen, some noise-canceling headphones can indeed work without music. So
Headphones with passive isolation technology can still mute external sounds, but
power source. So if you charge the power source regularly, you should be good to go
HEADPHONES FOR SLEEPING
» Read More «

5/21/2020 Do Noise-Canceling Headphones Work Without Music? Mystery Solved
https://soundproofliving.com/noise-canceling-headphones-technology/ 7/10
even if you don’t want to listen to any music. However, it should also be said that
some noise-canceling headphones can’t do much about higher frequencies, such
as human speech.

Ultimately, though, if you want to protect your hearing and your sanity with something that
will work no matter the circumstances, you may want to opt for earmuffs. Some of the
products I mentioned in my article about earmuffs for sleeping would be ideal.
Specifically, you could get the earmuffs they wear at construction sites. For example, these
headphones would be suitable for all your day-to-day needs. Alternately, you
can always keep some earplugs on hand.
So there we have it. Some noise-canceling headphones can work without music. However,
you may also want to invest in some more effective ways of blocking out sounds, just in
case.

Solution
May 21, 2020

Found this....
WITHOUT MUSIC?
power source. So if you charge the power source regularly, you should be good to go
HEADPHONES FOR SLEEPING
» Read More «

5/21/2020 Do Noise-Canceling Headphones Work Without Music? Mystery Solved
https://soundproofliving.com/noise-canceling-headphones-technology/ 7/10
even if you don’t want to listen to any music. However, it should also be said that
some noise-canceling headphones can’t do much about higher frequencies, such
as human speech.

Ultimately, though, if you want to protect your hearing and your sanity with something that
will work no matter the circumstances, you may want to opt for earmuffs. Some of the
products I mentioned in my article about earmuffs for sleeping would be ideal.
Specifically, you could get the earmuffs they wear at construction sites. For example, these
headphones would be suitable for all your day-to-day needs. Alternately, you
can always keep some earplugs on hand.
So there we have it. Some noise-canceling headphones can work without music. However,
you may also want to invest in some more effective ways of blocking out sounds, just in
case.
Thank you - the guide was helpful and I have purchased a pair of ear muffs recommended (Pro for Sho) for significantly less money than the Bose I was looking at and I'm guessing my kids will not want to "borrow" these either.

Can someone please tell me if I could use Noise Cancelling headphones just to block our background noise without listening to music? I'm doing post grad studies by distance and trying to concentrate of a night when I'm tired and my kids are making a lot of noise and doing my head in. Can you use noise cancelling headphones to just block out the kids without playing music? I dont deal with background noise when I'm tired and if this technology would work for me I would be saved! Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Ear plugs would work well and cheaper/lighter/easier to wear. I don't think I'd want to have a headset on my head to just block noise, not very comfortable.