Can you use theatre Audio systems for other devices

mbp19

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello I am not sure whether this has been asked before I looked around. Firstly I must apologize as I am new to theatre systems too.

So I have recently purchased a new projector and I wish to purchase a surround sound system too, I would like to use this to watch dvds, television, play music and games. Is this possible and what setup would I need? Also I would like to have a good system for sound direction if that is the right terminology any suggestions? would be much appreciated thank you. Also my room is about 6m x 8m big, with plenty of beams to hide cables on the roof and walls. Unless I should get a wireless system.

here would be my ideal setup if you can bare with my drawing abilities http://i.imgur.com/6ASyg3g.png.

Solution
do you intend to hook up multiple devices (such as a gaming console, dvd player ,pc, cable box, etcetera) or just one or two devices?

for multiple devices you will want a receiver and i would shy you away from buying a HTIB type setup. often HTIB sets arent all that good at connecting multiple devices unless they include a real receiver unit (often its a dvd player/receiver combo).

if all you have is a single source or even two sources i would still shy you away from HTIB units (they suck compared with what you can buy seperately for just a bit more $) but a HTIB would work.

let us know exactly what you want to hook up before we give you any real options. also list your budget.
do you intend to hook up multiple devices (such as a gaming console, dvd player ,pc, cable box, etcetera) or just one or two devices?

for multiple devices you will want a receiver and i would shy you away from buying a HTIB type setup. often HTIB sets arent all that good at connecting multiple devices unless they include a real receiver unit (often its a dvd player/receiver combo).

if all you have is a single source or even two sources i would still shy you away from HTIB units (they suck compared with what you can buy seperately for just a bit more $) but a HTIB would work.

let us know exactly what you want to hook up before we give you any real options. also list your budget.

Solution
What you're trying to accomplish is definitely very doable. In fact, it's very similar to my set up. While I only have my HTPC connected to my Onkyo HT-S3200 HTIB, it can do all the things you're wanting to do (movies, TV, music... I have a separate system for games).

-Wolf sends

mbp19

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I would like to spend $600 or less. Yes I would like to use many devices but if it comes to it i would be happy to swap cables (i.e. hdmi and analouge, sound etc) manually. As long as I can have all my devices and cables I need on the one table.
Thanks for your help guys.

mbp19

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I'll look into it when I get home. thank you,

if you dont mind pulling plugs a htib would work

i would still suggest a receiver and picking out some speakers though. if you do a bit of looking around you can get good deals.

have a look on ebay... some nice deals on there.

you can even get big names such as klipsh and boston acoustics for half of retail if your timing is right.