Canadian ISP's Intentionally Make P2P Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
P2P is mainly used to exchange software, movies and music that was obtained illegally.

when will this be stopped as it is against the law and pure theft.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i hope they investgate my cable company cause there the worst in canada they cripple everything. bittorrent, P2P, and even FTP. when i ever have to download a driver from the HP website i et dial-up sppeds from my cable internet because HP uses FTP server

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]P2P is mainly used to exchange software, movies and music that was obtained illegally. when will this be stopped as it is against the law and pure theft.[/citation]

Who are we really stealing from? The artist or the money hungry record company? I for one am proud to not support the later.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If P2P was only used for illegal acts I could understand this. But the fact is there are legal things to download on P2P programs and even things like Blizzard's Downloader is based upon bittorrent.

This doesn't just effect pirates in the end of the day.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]Who are we really stealing from? The artist or the money hungry record company? I for one am proud to not support the later.[/citation]

no record company, no distribution channel , no revenue for artists.

remove the record company and a lot of artists will be looking for another line of work.

what ever happened to prosecuting those who break the law? Downloading music that wasn't meant to be distributed for free removes record sales. No record sales means no paycheck for artist's.

say what you will but this is like the auto industry right now. If you cant sell car's " music" many repercussions will happen.

dealership's will closes. " Music store's"
factorys will close that manufactor the car "sony, MGM, Rockefeller records"
parts factory's will close cause they got nobody to sell too. "the artists"

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why aren't these things already happening then?

Piracy is already rampant, so the things you say should already be happening, but they aren't.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
pure theft, that is an interesting thought. Is it pure theft to make 1500% on a single product? If you went in for an oil change and your bill was 300$ would you consider that theft? Is it theft to read a magazine in a coffee house? how about at a magazine sales stand? Is it theft to trade a CD with a friend even though he already ripped the CD to his iPOD?

When does normal traffic begin to be affected by these tactics? Instead of spending money to try and hold onto your profit margins, why not spend the money to expand and increase bandwidth?

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The BitTorrent file sharing process is deep founded in many legitiment companies and legal downloads. The fact that pirates often use it is no excuse to cripple everyone on a network, just because. When I had a fps clan, I used p2p to transfer everything clan related, including custom maps and mods. It was dead useful. So because I have a torrent client on my computer, I'm a pirate?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]The BitTorrent file sharing process is deep founded in many legitiment companies and legal downloads. The fact that pirates often use it is no excuse to cripple everyone on a network, just because. When I had a fps clan, I used p2p to transfer everything clan related, including custom maps and mods. It was dead useful. So because I have a torrent client on my computer, I'm a pirate?[/citation]
Yes, now burn in hell for your sins.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
If all new CD's cost around the $20 mark then no it's not theft at all to charge that regardless of what the mark up is on it (1500%??). Even if you are only interested in the one song. It's still illegal no matter how you slice it to download the album or just the one song.

On the comment about piracy's ripply effect, here in Kitchener, Ontario, at the biggest mall in the area (Fairview Mall), in the past two years 2 out of the 3 music shops have gone out of business. Whether this is happening elsewhere too I can't say, but I'd have to assume it is. I think the entire MusicWorld chain of stores in Canada is completely gone.

That said, there shouldn't be any throttling over the networks just because of the pirates choice of distribution for the reasons given (lots of legitimate use of BitTorrent, etc). Major changes need to be happening at the distribution level of the industries to get cheaper, personalized music and movies to customers. Games.. well that's a much more difficult area of piracy to handle that I won't get into.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
You do know the Labels, not the Artists, make huge amounts of money from sales?

CDs shouldn't cost what they do, back in the day cassettes were cheaper than CDs, but somehow a pressed piece of plastic that costs much less than a cent to manufacture costs almost double what it would cost to create a complex set gears, plastic housing , and tape.

CDs shouldn't cost as much as they do, and more of the money from the sales should be going to the Artists who create the music, not the labels that simply publish them. Especially in today's day and age, where anyone with some creative talent and a revver account can make some good cash.

If the Music industry would offer their product at lower prices, they wouldn't be having the issues they have now.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
P2P is not only for illegal activities, legitimate uses (such as the Blizzard downloader service for Warcraft updates) now use P2P to boost download rates to customers.

Traffic shaping affects these services as well.

daveloft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]no record company, no distribution channel , no revenue for artists. remove the record company and a lot of artists will be looking for another line of work. what ever happened to prosecuting those who break the law? Downloading music that wasn't meant to be distributed for free removes record sales. No record sales means no paycheck for artist's.say what you will but this is like the auto industry right now. If you cant sell car's " music" many repercussions will happen.dealership's will closes. " Music store's"factorys will close that manufactor the car "sony, MGM, Rockefeller records"parts factory's will close cause they got nobody to sell too. "the artists"[/citation]

Record labels wont go away just the big ones. Plus were in the digital age we don't need labels to mass produce and distribute a product. The internet is all a musician needs.

The business is changing and with it the old are dying and new innovative ones will take their place. Music will never go away.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]P2P is mainly used to exchange software, movies and music that was obtained illegally. when will this be stopped as it is against the law and pure theft.[/citation]
And listening in on customers trafic isn't illigal and against the law? I'm not from canada, so I don't know the laws there. But here it would be a breach of a persons privacy similar to when a phone service provider would listen in on sms and other communication means on your phone.

And for the record - while p2p trafic might be illigal it isn't always. There is plenty of freeware and other non protected data floating around. Some companies even release their software by seeding it. It's a free steam if you like. They don't have to pay the upkeep, merely make sure to seed it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.