Solved! Cannot complete set up of new laptop.

Clifford L Sanford

Estimable
Mar 25, 2019
I just purchased a new laptop. The new laptop indicates that it can not find the ethernet connection already connected. I am forced to set the computer up via the WiFi router. Cortana says to “Now type in your credentials”. As best I can tell “Credentials” is a code word for what was called the Ipv4 IP Address. I have typed in my IP Address and the laptop cannot connect to the WiFI router either. Not one website found can provide real instructions of to find it. They all eventually end at a instruction of a setting that does not exist on my version of W10 I have left too find it. Too say the least I'm not amused at being sucked into this trap. What is a credential really mean, so how I can go find it. Tnx

Solution
Credentials should be referring to your WiFi info. That is if it detects the WiFi in the first place. So if you have a password or name set to the WiFi, then you would need to use those. However it should be able to locate the WiFi and connect (to allow you to add your password). If it isn't, then try the two following options.

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the...
Credentials should be referring to your WiFi info. That is if it detects the WiFi in the first place. So if you have a password or name set to the WiFi, then you would need to use those. However it should be able to locate the WiFi and connect (to allow you to add your password). If it isn't, then try the two following options.

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...
  1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
  7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
  8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  9. Now click "Manage known networks".
  10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
  11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
  12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
  13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".
Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

If none of this works, then it sounds like you got a not so good computer. No computer should give you such problems when you get it new. I would contact the seller about trading it for another one (of the same kind) or for a different one, if the problem repeats on this same version.

A new device, if working properly, should be pretty much plug and play.

Solution

Clifford L Sanford

Estimable
Mar 25, 2019
Problem solved. It's a classic case of don't do what I say, do what I mean. In this case Microsoft's in home training representative Cortana says to enter in undefined terminology word "Credential" instead of looking in the Credential box, for letters that say's "Security Key" in small faded letters. So for others falling into this trap, and as in my case took 4 days to figure out how to escape this trap. A credential is not a title or name, it is the combination to a PC lock. We can ask whatever happened to the term "User Friendly".
On a brighter note a Thank you to "Webworkings Titan" for his or hers attempted help. Tnx