Cannot for the life of me get my GS3 drivers to install on Windows 8.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Does anyone know of the last working drivers for windows 8? I have been looking up and down and most people seem to be able to get the latest ones to work without any problems. I on the other hand get "drivers failed to install" everytime I try to do it.

I don't want to use kies because it is just another program I don't need or want. I just want the drivers but they don't seem to work.

I have tried the windows drivers with usb debugging on and then again with them off. I also think I may have gotten the drivers to install once at some point but they weren't recognizing my storage (which I found out was another problem later on) so I uninstalled them and haven't gotten them to work since. I imagine there are still some remnants in my registry (which I am comfortable fixing if someone knows where to direct me to) but I don't know where or even if that is the problem.

I eventually want to root my phone but it is basically impossible when I can't get the drivers to work.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
To be totally honest, even though you don't want to, you're likely going to have to install Kies.

The Samsung device drivers are packaged with it. In order to properly install the phone you'll need to use those drivers. You could try and find them online separately but I'd recommend against it since it would be a modified install package and could contain malware.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

You can actually get the drivers separate at the samsung website but the problem I am having is that they aren't installing. I have attempted to use kies but I am running into the same problem even with that.