Cannot get wifi to switch on

msutherland1970

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hi, wonder if anyone can help. A couple of weeks ago my wife updated her Packard Bell Easynote TS11HR to Windows 10 (well the laptop did it automatically when Microsoft "forced" people to take it). This week it has decided to not connect to wifi - I have tried pressing the FN and F3 button and by clicking into the Network and Internet in settings, and then Wifi and pressing the button there - but it will not switch on. She had been using it since the upgrade so not sure what has happened.

I've checked in Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connections and the Wireless Network Connection is showing as Enabled (it is a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter), but again not connected and when clicking in there it still won't connect. I've tried to update the driver through the device manager but it says it is the up to date version and looking on Packard Bell's website they don't offer Windows 10 support for this model laptop, so all the drivers on there are Windows 8 or less.

Really do not know what to do now - we have got it hard wired so can go online on it (but that isn't practical for using it as the router is in the kitchen) if there are any updates that can be suggested, or do we try and roll it back to Windows 8 to see if that is the problem (and if so, how do we do that ;) ). Any help much appreciated (but take note, whilst I'm comfortable using a computer for everyday tasks, I don't fully understand the inner workings of them), or do I need to take it along to the local repair guy (or tip).

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter using the Windows 8 driver that should work just fine.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the Win 8 driver.
- Here's the link: http://global-download.packardbell.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.216_W8x64UW8x86U_A.zip?acerid=634884664785590575&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=EASYNOTE&Step3=EN%20TS11HR&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=PACKARD%20BELL&SC=EMEA_27P
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed then test it again after the reboot.
- If it will still not work, run System Restore. Restore the laptop into an earlier date or time when it was connecting properly.
- Here's how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
- If System Restore will still not work last option would be to reinstall Windows itself.

msutherland1970

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hi Laptop_Nerd, thanks for that. However, I've just uninstalled the wifi adapter and followed the link you gave and it won't run it - when I've downloaded it the folder shows that there are 2 additional folders, the first called "Install CD" and the second "Wifi Driver Only". Looking in the first folder I have clicked on the "Setup" file and followed that through but it brings up and error message "The installer can not run on this platform. Please select package for your operating system." and won't let me continue. I have also tried to download the Windows 7 version of the driver but it won't let me run that, saying that "An administrator has blocked it", although my wife is the only user on the laptop and has administrator privileges. Any more advice would be much appreciated as it is doing my head in now lol.