Cannot open 'My Files' folder, Samsung Galaxy Note 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chat10

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Cannot open 'My Files' folder on Samsung Galaxy Note (first model). When I click on 'My Files' that would usually open other folders- Bluetooth, DCIM, My Pictures, Downloads, etc.- it just shows processing and does NOT open 'My Files' folder. I have restarted phone a few times. It's been like this since morning. What do I do (no, don't want to get a new phone!)?

Solution
Wow, it is definitely not acting in any way normal. I am still leaning towards something malicious on the phone. You are probably right and it is best to get your data off it now.

NOTE: If it is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer and see if they can repair or replace it.
It may be account related. Do you have your Samsung account set up correctly on the phone? If not, that can cause this problem.

Also, do you have say background data turned off? This can also cause that.

Lastly if you don't have data on your phone for some reason (no access, not on plan, etc.) it can happen as well.

Chat10

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Thank you for replying. I do not have Samsung account but have Gmail account. I deleted and added it again. I have also cleared cache in Google Play and Google Play services. There are a few apps (banking, whatsapp) that are working, but draw something is not. I still cannot access the 'My Files.'

Chat10

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I updated all apps. Did not fix the issue. Then I uninstalled updates in Google Play, still no luck. Main problem that I am having is with the 'My Files' folder, Draw Something and couple of news apps that just do not open. My Folder keeps saying processing and showing circle. Since this morning, when I start camera it also shows media something running, but works when I restart it every time. Thanks.

Chat10

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Thank you for your patience!

I have not installed any new apps in about 2 months.
Still I installed Draw Something and reinstalled- still not working.
I disabled 'My Files' from 'All' apps and that has allowed camera to work. Otherwise it kept shutting down while showing messages media running.
I am not getting notifications for my outlook mail either now. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but no luck
I purchased a new app 'File Commander' and it has allowed me to access all my files as long as I keep the original 'My Files' folder disabled. Some of the other news apps are now working- though there's lag in loading.

Does it make sense?
Thank you again!

Yes. It almost sounds like there is something on the phone that shouldn't be there, or an app that shouldn't be acting like it is. You might want to try starting the phone in "Safe Mode" and see if the problem still happens. If it doesn't, then you definitely have something app or otherwise, on the device that is interfering.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Chat10

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi, that was the first thing that I had tried. In fact tried a few times. Every time I started it in Safe Mode and selected any apps that I'm having trouble with, it would hang up and start in regular mode.

This morning I got up to find that many of the phone numbers in my phone are missing!! That's a huge bummer! :(

I guess I'm going to get a new phone and copy info before I lose it.

Thanks though!

Wow, it is definitely not acting in any way normal. I am still leaning towards something malicious on the phone. You are probably right and it is best to get your data off it now.

NOTE: If it is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer and see if they can repair or replace it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.