Solved! Canon EF mount a smart buy?

kalern123

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Hello.

I've been doing photography for quite a while now. And I'm thinking about buying a new canon EF mount lens. Is this a smart buy in late 2018 early 2019? It seems like mirrorless cameras are coming more and more and i'm afraid i'm doing a bad purchase if the Canon DSLR cameras and DSLR cameras are getting outdated or will dissappear in not too many years.

Does anyone have any predictions? Will Canon keep their EF mount on their mirrorless cameras too? Is it really a bad purchase buying an EF lens now? It's a lot of money for this lens.

Solution

sir_k

Great
Sep 17, 2018
Go ahead and purchase your lens!

Does anyone have any predictions?
Don't worry about DSLR's going away. Yes, mirrorless cameras will eventually replace the majority of DSLR's (especially in the next generation of photographers), because they are better than DSLR's in so many ways. However, there are currently a huge amount of DSLR users, so none of the major companies (Canon included) will be pulling their DSLR lines anytime soon; in fact, just as film cameras are still being used today, DSLR's will probably continue to be used for decades.

Will Canon keep their EF mount on their mirrorless cameras too?
No. One of the benefits of mirrorless cameras is the capability to have a larger mount, and Canon has already developed the new "R" mount for their mirrorless cameras. But they also provide adapters for owners that already have EF lenses (like you); that way you may continue using the lenses you already own once you (if ever) switch to a mirrorless body. Since they are native adapters, your EF lenses will work perfectly with a Canon mirrorless camera.

kalern123

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

So I probably will change to a mirrorless camera in the future, but will the adapter change the quality of the picture? I understand the auto focus can get slower, but that's not an issue for me. Point is, Optic doesn't get old quickly and it would be nice to use my EF mounts on a mirrorless camera with the adapter. I just hope it doesn't lower the quality on the images.

sir_k

Great
Sep 17, 2018

No, the adapter won't lower the quality or the autofocus speed. Canon makes their own adapters, which are designed so that EF lenses will work perfectly on a mirrorless body. So, if you have a good quality EF lens, you won't lose anything by putting it on a mirrorless body; in fact, it is possible that the autofocus will be better.

Solution