Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
My budget is 500 dollars (400 euro) and I've been eye-ing this camera up like a motherf****r!
Anyone think I could get this camera or a similiar camera used for that price?

There's no way I could afford it new. lol

I'm going to be using the camera for high-quality youtube videos and film.

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Hi,

DSLRs in particular are not perfect for video. Especially for youtube videos. Most people would only consider getting a DSLR for video if it was going to be used for more filmic productions. That said, DSLR's are handy because they are both good at video and photos. My point is, if your only use for the camera is video then possibly look at getting a dedicated video camcorder. Chances are that it will be much better and easier to use than the DSLR.

DSLR's have limitations like anti aliasing, jello-wobble when panning as well as they are awfully restricted by the lens they have on. And good lenses can range into the high thousands. I know because I own a few DSLR's for my own video production.

That said, if you still have your heart set on the DSLR then you can't go wrong with the 70D. Especially in the price range it currently sits in. You could even pick up a 60D second hand with a lens for around $500 USD. In-fact, i would recommend the 60D over the 70D right now as the changes from the old model weren't that significant.

Also the canon 700D can be picked up for around $600 brand new with a kit lens. Dont be afraid to pick up the bottom tier cameras, especially with firmware hacks like that of magic lantern, there is still a lot you can do with them.

Hope this helps!

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

So sorry it took me so long to reply! :eek: I was away and I didn't have any devices connected to the internet.
Thanks a lot for your reply,I didn't know DSLRs weren't the best choice.
Is there any video cameras that have the same quality or better for around $500? I most likely won't be taking pictures so video quality is what really matters.

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Sorry for my late reply too :p

Well i really cant help you here as I have had little experience with the lower, entry level, cameras. I can however, recommend you brands like JVC and Sony for this price range. I would have a look at all the competitions cameras, find their equivalents (In your price range) and do a comparison. Also. You might want to prioritize things like mic ports and hot shoe mounts as these things allow for expansion/upgrades in the future.

*Some time later*

I found one after comparing all the basic stats. Panasonic offers a great camcorder called the HC-V750M. It gets outshined by the others in zoom length and "other features" like water proof and "tough". But all those are gimmics. What really matters is that the camera at its widest is 29mm focal length which is the perfect focal length for video IMO. It also has a modest sensor with 6.8 Megapixels when recording 1080p. Also it also records at a higher than normal bit rate (28mbps) which means you will get great detail. and to top it off it has mic input and a hotshoe mount for future upgrades (like an external mic). They are selling online for just under $650USD.

But be sure to look around and compare models. Remembering what you will be using it for and choosing in accordance.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Once again,so sorry for the late reply! lol
Thanks a lot for researching and helping out :) Just took a look at the HC-V750M and was actually suprisingly impressed,for a handycam it looks great! Might consider getting that but I've been looking at either a Canon eos 70d and a Nikon d7000 on Amazon priced at around $600 refurbished which is great! Unfortunately the Canon (the one I wanted most :( ) doesn't ship to Ireland from the American Amazon site :( so I've been considering the nikon d7000. What do you think of this camera?

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Again, VERRRY Late reply, Sooo sorry,

If you haven't bought a camera yet then you can't go wrong with Nikon. As a said previously DSLR's are great for filmic stuff but are VERY hard work. In-fact I would go as far as to say that they are incredibly impractical for a run and gun camera at all. I wish i knew this before i got my 5DIII. Anywho, Nikon would be a great "learn about everything" camera. And you WILL learn a lot.

Go ahead, have fun. But remember, if your going to invest in nikon lenses (I.e. buying premium lenses) Then you are locking yourself into nikon. Test the waters before you throw more money at nikon. Sony are doing quite well at the moment and i would recommend you look at some of their mirror less cameras in the future as a possible upgrade.

Goodluck!