Canon eos 70d vs canon 7d vs nikon d7000?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Damn,I'm really not sure what to get! I can't really bring myself to get a nikon D5200 at $518 when I've seen the EOS 70D at $600. :(

I'm going to try order from Amazon as I'm more familiar with them.

Oh,and could you link me a 18-105mm lens on Amazon? :)

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
I messaged one of the sellers on Amazon who was selling the EOS 70D for $600 to ask him if they'd ship it to Ireland, he said yes! ..and then I realised it was a scam after he would only accept western union payment transfer,no PayPal,Credit card,etc.. + I rang Amazon and they told me that the invoice he sent me wasn't legit. D:

Sorry to hear that but am glad you found out before you parted with your money. It's a shame these things happen. What will you do now? Do you have another camera in mind?

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Thanks for the kind words! :) Yeah I was so close to just heading down to the post office and sending him the money D: Ah well,lesson learned! Not really sure what camera to get now,I'd consider the Nikon D7000 but I'd have to combine one of the lenses you linked to get it to $600. So I'll see what I can get. :)

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Also just realised that all these "$600" refurbished Canon EOS 70Ds I was finding were all made by scammers who all want you to contact them before you buy it on Amazon so that they can get you to pay through the western union. :\ So I've decided my best bet is to probably just get the Nikon D7000 as I've heard it's a great camera and it should be fine for high quality short films,youtube videos,etc.. Now I just need to decide out of the lenses you linked,what one to get lol

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
*facepalm* Amazon.com don't ship it to Ireland,anymore! :(((((( I could have gotten the d5300 for $600 new as well :(((

Know any other American site that are selling it for that price that can have it shipped to Ireland before christmas?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079744-REF/nikon_1522b_d5300_dslr_camera_with.html - $639.95 is the closest I have come so far.
According to B&H's shipping policy:
"We ship worldwide (except to Iran, Sudan, Cuba, Syria, North Korea, and Uganda)."
Source: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/int-shippingRulesPolicies.jsp#shippingPolicies

One other site has one for the same price and lower prices I have seen are for the body only. I have seen it less but on sites that are less than reputable.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Damnit! $600 was already over budget lol there's probably import charges too? :(

I wouldn't rule out the D5100. I own a Canon T4i (650D) and it disappeared from the market about as quickly as it appeared it seems. It was quickly replaced by the T5i (better kit lens and a few changes). The T4i has not gotten great reviews and the kit lens has really gotten poor reviews. That said, I honestly have been pleased with the video quality of the clips I have shot. As far as photo image quality goes I attribute the poor quality shots to the user and not the camera (I'm still learning).

The point is that with the proper lenses and shooting technique the D5100 should be a fine camera. I have learned that it is important to get to know the camera and its capabilities and take a lot of practice shot to get familiar with the camera. When all is said and done it ultimately comes down to the person behind the camera.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Yeah I completely agree!
I'd much rather have decent camera with some skill at taking photos/videos than to have a beast $1000 camera with none,
although I'd allways choose a good cam over an iPhone camera any day lol

Be honest tho... is the D5100.....crap? :\ + does it have 60fps?

P.S. I found the d5300 on this site but I'm not sure if it's a reputable site,and if would I be able to find a good lens for 40 euro (£31)? lol ..probably not :\
http://www.expeditelectronics.com/nikon-d5300-digital-slr-camera-body-black.html

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
+ could you link me a cheap tripod on amazon.co.uk that you would recommend for the D5100,please? :)

+ I'm also looking at the Canon EOS 600d (I'd be willing to use magic lantern with it).. is it better than the D5100?
the 600d is £399 opposed to the £265 d5100. (I think I just answered my own question :\)

sorry about all the questions..I think these are the last lol

The D5100 does not record 60fps. According to the specs for the Canon 600D (T3i) it will shoot 60p @ 1280x720. Reviews for Expedite electronics is mixed at best. The biggest complaint that I saw was on delivery which is reportedly very slow. Customers complain that the money is withdrawn right away but shipment is extremely slow. There were also a couple of comments about an item being listed as in stock on the web site only to receive a message that the item is out of stock.

Link to tripods on amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/275-5438008-7848009?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tripod&sprefix=tripod%2Caps

Tripods with 4 or more star ratings: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atripod%2Cp_72%3A419153031&keywords=tripod&ie=UTF8&qid=1418410171&rnid=419152031

I didn't pick one because I don't know how much you have budgeted for a tripod.