Canon eos 70d vs canon 7d vs nikon d7000?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Thnx for the links! :) I went on Amazon and it said that the earliest they can deliver is the 30th :eek: so I'm trying to source the stuff locally,would this memory stick work? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1076679/Trail/searchtext%3ESDHC+.htm
And how much footage would I be able to record with that 8gb stick? length-wise for 30fps and 60fps?

That card should work, SanDisk is on the approved list of SD cards. Not sure how much recording time you will get on an 8GB card.

Link to manual: http://download3.nikonimglib.com/archive1/mIIJL00acvof00aAgRu77efiy804/D5300UM_NT%28En%2901.pdf
See page 27 for recording quality and durations.
It would be a good idea to read the manual to get familiar with the camera.

"So depending on the footage, at the best quality High 1080p60 setting a 10 Minute clip will take up around 2GB and that's the longest you can shoot with the D5300 in its 1080p60 High quality mode, though if you reduce the quality to Normal that extends to 20 minutes. As before clips are saved in QuickTime format using the H.264 codec."
Source: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5300/

So according to that you will get close to 40 minutes of video on the HQ setting and close to 80 minutes of video on the Normal setting.

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

That memory stick should definitely work. I think you could get at least 20 minutes @ 60FPS.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
cool thnx guys! :) oh,and how long should I recharge the battery for on the d5300?

Edit: F*ck sake! Just realised the Nikon battery charger pack doesn't work.. was working for like a minute and now there's no lights and if I fiddle with the wire the recharging light comes on for a millisecond!

Any ideas?

Charge the battery until it is fully charged. Some things you can learn by reading the manual. Have you tried charging the battery while it is in the camera?

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Oh,I fixed it..nvm :eek: So the cam is on and it looks great, but how do I have continuous smooth autofocus?. I have no memory stick in the cam atm.. I'm just testing out the picture.. but I have to keep halfway holding down the shoot button to bring things in to focus,It'd be brilliant for it to automatically do it. I only have 3 focus mods too.. AF-S, AF-F and Manual focus.

I hate to sound like a scratched record but look at the manual. Read the manual and look at the camera as you go through the manual.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Fair point lol Thanks for the help,anyway! :)

Something like this - SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC UHS-I Flash Card - Class 10 45MB/S - may be a better choice. I'm not sure, though I could be wrong, the 20mb/s is going to be a fast enough write speed. I could not open the link because of errors with cookies.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion :) btw I tried to import video and images from my d5300 to my PC with a usb cable but both my standard ps3 usb cable and my micro ps4 usb cable don't work :(

I looked up in the manual and the one I need is called "Nikon UC-E17 usb cable".. is there an easier name for this so I can narrow down my search? I found it on Amazon but I want to try get it locally.

Does your computer have an SD card reader? If yes, use it instead. If not, consider getting a card reader and using one. You can plug a card reader into a USB port and one is usually inexpensive.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

I just got an sd card reader and it works great,thnx! :) Although the footage seems quite grainy.. especially in darker areas,is there something I can do? I think it might be the ISO but I don't know how to change it :eek: + My cam only goes to 1080-50p in the settings :\

I only suggested usung the manual because you said you did know how to change the ISO setting.

Where you shooting in an auto or manual mode? Have you tried experimenting with the aperture and shutter speed? A wider aperture lets in more light. A faster shutter speed along with a wider aperture and the right ISO may help reduce the amount of noise.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Ok I'll give that a try thnx :) Oh and I wasn't replying to your last reply when I was talking about the having read all of the manual,sry if it seemed like I was being rude :(

You were not being rude so all is well. I hope you get it figured out and get the footage as you would like it to be.