Solved! Canon EOS Selection?

lkn118

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I really want to buy an entry Canon EOS Camera, but dont know which to choose.
-Canon EOS 1000D Kit: Cheap, but only 7-point AF.
-Canon EOS 450D Kit: I want this. Not too expansive, and 9-point AF and good image quality.
-Canon EOS 500D: Expansive, not really wanted. But attracted by its FullHD record and digic4.
Any other recommendation with the same price range? I prefer Canon and Sony.
I use it for landscape, night and portrait and close up shots. I m an all rounded shooter.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
I really like the 450D/XSi. I don't need or use video in a camera. I use it for taking pictures so that feature would add extra cost for me. I like the XSi's image quality and it can be found on Newegg for just under $600. You can't go wrong at that price.

The 1000D/XS is nice and it is comparable to my camera.

If you want to do portraits, you're going to need a lens with a large F-stop. I shoot with a Tamron F2.8 28-75 and it blurs out the background wonderfully and the Image Quality is great. With most kit lenses, you won't get the background blur needed for portraits. A good Prime with a F1.8 would be a good choice for that.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I really like the 450D/XSi. I don't need or use video in a camera. I use it for taking pictures so that feature would add extra cost for me. I like the XSi's image quality and it can be found on Newegg for just under $600. You can't go wrong at that price.

The 1000D/XS is nice and it is comparable to my camera.

If you want to do portraits, you're going to need a lens with a large F-stop. I shoot with a Tamron F2.8 28-75 and it blurs out the background wonderfully and the Image Quality is great. With most kit lenses, you won't get the background blur needed for portraits. A good Prime with a F1.8 would be a good choice for that.

Solution

discountshop

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I would like to recommend Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit) as it has good functionality like

Digital SLR with 12.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor and 9-point wide area AF with f/2.8 cross-type centre point

EOS integrated cleaning system, 14-bit processing and DIGIC III for enhanced speed and image quality

3.0 inch LCD with live view mode and 3.5 frames per second continuous shooting

Customisable picture style image processing options with digital photo professional RAW processing software

Compact and lightweight Body compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and Speedlite EX flash

and the price of its £451.90

lkn118

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

And if compared to 500D? I m really confused between this 2 cameras. 500D is newer, but will 500D's image quality better than 450D?

Penitent

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Image quality is to an extent dependent on the camera body but a better lens (generally shown by cost) will provide a better image even on what could be considered a lower quality sensor.

I don't believe either of these cameras can be considered "bad" in terms of their images - I was, and still am, happy with the image quality of my old 400D. Newer models generally aren't a huge step forwards in picture quality but they do provide more bells and whistles. Since they are both entry level cameras their AF systems won't change much, I don't believe there was a great advance between the models in that respect.

People who I've talked to have said that video is not necessary but at the same time it is nice to have it to play around with.

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
If I were you I'll get the 500D instead because it has a Digic4 processor which translates to better pictures. I mean you are buying new why not spend a little bit mroe for something that will help taking great pictures in general.

Kraze7

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Yea in the long run you'll probably be better off with Digic4. More importantly, the lens is more important than the camera body itself. Don't get me wrong have a good camera body is a plus too.

Oh and since you're doing mostly landscape you might want to consider a tripod and maybe lens filter.