Canon G12 REPAIR

peternguthrie

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
G12 image viewer kaput, camera is fine . i am told that this cannot be fixed ...any suggestions ? .I see canon still sel

Solution

I don't think Canon still sells the g12. It is over 7 years old. What you see for sale are cameras that stat in a warehouse for years and years.

It might be that parts for such an old camera (which was always a consumer level camera, not designed to be used forever) might be hard to find. But that doesn't mean there are no parts. If you got that opinion from a repair shop, try another one and see if they have better luck finding the parts.

The other possibility is your camera has so little value that the technician didn't want to give you a repair quote which was higher than the value of the camera.

Have...

bjornl

Estimable

I don't think Canon still sells the g12. It is over 7 years old. What you see for sale are cameras that stat in a warehouse for years and years.

It might be that parts for such an old camera (which was always a consumer level camera, not designed to be used forever) might be hard to find. But that doesn't mean there are no parts. If you got that opinion from a repair shop, try another one and see if they have better luck finding the parts.

The other possibility is your camera has so little value that the technician didn't want to give you a repair quote which was higher than the value of the camera.

Have you considered just getting a "new" used one? They start at around 160.

Solution

skardykat

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I had the same problem a few years ago. It's a faulty microswitch inside the hinge part of the folding/rotating screen. The G12 has a 5 year service lifetime and they won't fix it for you now.