Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hello everyone,
I'm looking forward of buying a new digital camera. I would like to spend around 250$ for it. I chose 2 models : Canon Powershot A530 with 1 Gb memory card and SONY DSC-S 600. Please help me choose one of them. I'm not into digital cameras, so I don't know much about them.
The Canon camera comes with an 1GB memory card :D . The Sony doesn't include a memory card. :cry:
What do you think which one is the better? I'm not a professional photographer so I don't need very high-tech stuff just a good camera to take some good pictures.
Thanks.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Given the choices between the two I would go for Canon, As far as I know Sony uses the same CCD Sensor that Canon has, and as far as digital camera's concern Canon has a small lead on their technology, But Sony has 6 Mega Pixel. Tough choice.

Hope somebody else could shed more light on this.

If I would suggest a camera and close to the price range your at. I would say the Fuji Finepix F10. Is far better on taken pictures inside the house or at night. Which is more likely you'll be using it to.

I would be getting and digital P&S next month, gift for my wife and I will be checking on the new Finepix F31. I read some reviews that tier good for their Super CCD censor. I hope you'll get more opinions that knows more of the two given camera in question. good luck.

Please check the link below to give you more of input of your buying decision.
Fuji FINEPIX F10

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
alright, you can't really purchase a camera by asking people what THEY would get. Digital cameras should be a personal choice, so i suggest you go to your nearest camera shop and test them out your self.

but, i've had great experience with sony digital cameras and that model sony model you've posted should be what you are looking for, as you said you are not into professional photography, it is a perfect camera for you.

Peet

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Thanks for the advices. I'll see which one I will buy.Your right I should try them before purchasing one of them. Thanks again. Have a nice day.
Peet

seo

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I would prefer Canon ! Its great and simple to use. Moreover price tag is much lower when compared to sony.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Suggest you google reviews of each of the cameras there are some very good camera review sites. Can't name any off the top of my head because I just do a google search when looking at cameras. While I haven't read reviews of those specific cameras, Canons generally come out better than an equivalent Sony. Of the cameras I've looked at Canon and Panasonic usually come out well in reviews. I have a Casio that I really like but Casio is more expensive and for $250 Canon or Panasonic would be your best bet. Don't get too impressed with meapixels, in that price range most will have at least 5 megapixels which is sufficient unless you're doing posters or large prints. But phamily is also right, you need to go take a look at them even if you're buying online.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Canon is always good for beginners. It gives high quality photo with simple interface and operation. However, Canon is not cheap.
Sony is not bad as it is usually durable. In addition, you can feel the convenience from using a whole set of Sony electronics.
I prefer Casio, which is the most handy and user-friendly. It is the best choice for total beginners. In addition, it has long battery life and quick response, which are essential for daily snapshot

gigman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I have had the sony dsc w7 for 2 years and have dropped it 5 or 6 times and it is still a great camera. one thing I love about sony the model i have is that is runs on aa batterys and it can take around 300 pictures on a 2300ma.

jokahontas

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
i got the sony cyber shot 2 yrs ago. i got it for 250 bucks. i was really happy with it. its an awesome digital camera. but i didnt take good care of it. i kept it in my car. i dropped it alot. it never broke. but it use to take great pictures in the total dark. but now, not so much. but i know its my fault. but for the price its awesome. they now came out with a better version of my camera for 100 bucks. i recommend it. but now im looking at the cannon for 250 bucks. for better zoom. i dunno much about it. but im risking it.

lordsmurf

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Years later, and Canon and Sony are still two excellent P&S brands to buy.
I suggest Canon Elph SD1100 or Sony DSC-W120

spencer mccredie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
My journey with DSLRs began back in 2003 with the original Digital Rebel. DSLRs changed my photography for the better like nothing else. Five years and some 25,000 shots later, it's still going strong. Along the way I upgraded to the Canon 30D, which is a fantastic camera as well. When the 40D was announced, I decided to wait until the 50D sometime in 2009, but wanted a newer backup/second body for my photography needs. So when the XSi/450D was announced, it sounded like a perfect fit for my needs.

I got it from Amazon.com three days ago, and have given it a pretty good workout since then, having shot about 650 shots under a variety of shooting conditions and with a number of different Canon and third-party lenses. The following are my impressions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YA85A?ie=UTF8&tag=burtoa-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B0012YA85A

The build feels very good. The camera feels wonderfully light yet well built. I'm 6ft tall with average size hands, and the camera feels good in my hand. The battery grip, to me, defeats the purpose of having a small, light DSLR, so I opted for a Hakuba/Opteka grip (it's a plate that screws into the tripod socket that enables you to use the excellent Canon E1 hand strap with it) and I couldn't be happier. I'm not a fan of neck straps, so this works well for me (see the uploaded photo for the configuration).

Most of the menu buttons on the back feel different from the ones on the original Digital Rebel and the 30D; the XSi buttons feel more tactile and have a definite "click" to them when you press them. The exception are the Exposure Lock (*) and AF selector buttons, which have retained the deeper, softer feel of the older cameras. Just different, not better or worse, for me.

The LCD is now 3" with 230K pixels. The playback images look awesome, and probably because of the higher resolution of the sensor, there's a very slight delay when you zoom in to 10x while the image loads and displays properly. People coming from other cameras or brands might not even notice it--I only did so because of the difference between it and my two other Canon DSLRs (which have lower resolution sensors). The viewing angle of the LCD screen (how clearly you can see the screen from side and up and down) is excellent; you can still see the screen holding the camera almost straight up for an overhead shot (more on this later). I'd estimate the viewing angle is about 160-170 degrees both horizontally and vertically.

The Digital Rebel has a separate status screen above the main LCD screen, and the 30D had one on top of the camera, so I wasn't sure if I was going to like the big LCD acting as the status screen and no top screen. I'm happy to say that this arrangement works well. The back screen makes it really easy to take all the settings at a glance. The viewfinder is much larger and brighter than that in the Digital Rebel. A welcome feature for me is the always displayed ISO value in the viewfinder.

The camera is only half of the image quality equation, the other being the lenses being used. Coupled with my favorite lens, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L telephoto lens, the XSi turns out fantastic images. The supplied kit lens is very light and compact for being an image stabilized lens, and turns out good performance. The IS is certainly very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000053HH5?ie=UTF8&tag=burtoa-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B000053HH5

Two features that used to be missing from the Digital Rebels and found in the more expensive DSLRs are now featured in the XSi: spot-metering and flash exposure compensation (these may have been available in the previous Digital Rebel model, the XTi, as well). The inclusion of those two features make the camera a much more complete and compelling photographic tool. The timer function now has a custom mode, where it'll count down from 10 seconds then take a number of shots (specified by you) in succession. No more running back and forth to reset the timer after each shot! There's also the traditional 2-second timer.

Let's talk for a minute about sensor and the ISO values. XSi/450D has five ISO values you can choose: 100 (best image quality), 200, 400, 800, and 1600. Higher ISO increases the camera sensor's sensitivity to light, thus you can achieve faster shutter speeeds for a given lighting condition. However, the trade-off is that the sensor "noise" (think grain for film photography) increases with higher ISO, so you get a degraded image quality in return for less blurred photos from hand shakes (thanks to faster shutter speed). This may come in handy in situations where flash photography is not permitted, such as a museum or a concert or theater. HOWEVER, compared to point-and-shoot digital cameras, the larger sensors of DSLRs, including the XSi, means that even at ISO 800 and 1600 you get very usable images right out of the camera. Running the images shot at those ISO settings through any number of third-party noise reduction software will improve them even further.

This ties in to another very useful feature of the XSi/450D that makes life easier for the photographer: The Auto ISO function. By default, Auto ISO sets the ISO (the sensor sensitivity to light) between 100 and 800 (by using custom functions, this can be changed to 200-1600). If you are, for example, shooting your kid's indoor basketball game and you know that you need a shutter speed of at least 1/200 sec to "freeze" the action, then you can set the camera to Tv (shutter priority mode) and set the value to 1/200, and set the camera to Auto ISO. Then the camera will match the aperture and the ISO to achieve proper exposure at that shutter speed. With my other DSLRs, setting the camera to shutter priority only allowed the camera to adjust the aperture value; ISO setting had to be adjusted manually. With the XSi/450D, the ability for the camera to adjust the ISO value automatically makes it one less thing for you the photographer to worry about.

I've only tested the Live View function to see how it works, but I can already see how useful it's going to be in studio and macro shootings. Just a note, you can't half-press the shutter to autofocus while in Live View mode. You can either manual focus, or use one of the two autofocus methods, quick (the mirror flips up, the LCD goes dark for a short while, and flips down with focus locked) or live (the camera uses the LCD's contrast detection to achieve the focus--this method is slower than the quick method), both by pressing the exposure lock button while in the Live View mode. Using either the RS-60E3 wired remote or RC-1 wireless remote in Live View mode will ONLY trigger the shutter, and has no bearing on focusing.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the inclusion of the Live View feature will enable them to use the XSi/450D as they do point-and-shoot digital cameras, to compose their shots. That is not the case. You can't really make a functioning use of the Live View feature unless the camera's securely mounted on a tripod or on a flat surface. Both Live View focusing modes, while precise, are too slow to be used for hand-held shooting.

The Direct Print button that's been much ridiculed and maligned in most Canon cameras now double as the white balance menu button. The Set button in the middle of the four-direction arrow keys can be programmed for a number of different functions: Change image quality, flash exposure compensation, LCD monitor on/off (same as Display button, but can be triggered by the same hand holding the camera), and Menu display (again, can be triggered by the same hand holding the camera).

There is a dedicated ISO button, which is also very welcome. It can easily be accessed during shooting with the right thumb, thereby minimizing the interruption to shooting.

The battery life seems very good. I've shot about 500+ shots on a single charge and the status monitor is still showing charge at full.

I'm using Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card with it. At ISO 100, the camera reports it can fit 396 RAW+JPG (highest quality) on it, but in reality it can probably fit about 420-450 (the camera's always conservative when estimating). With RAW only, it can fit 507. With highest quality JPG, it can fit 1,822. Note that as ISO increases, so do the file sizes and thus you can store less images per card. For example, on ISO 1600, the same card can only hold 323 images, compared to 396 at ISO 100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQVTM?ie=UTF8&tag=burtoa-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B001ECQVTM

All in all, it's a fantastic camera. Pretty amazing to see how far the entry-level DSLRs have come in just a few years in terms of features, interface, ergonomics, and quality. I'm very pleased with my purchase and intend to have lots of fun shooting pictures with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YA85A?ie=UTF8&tag=burtoa-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B0012YA85A

tanmaysnv

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Canon because they have been in the still camera business longer than sony. When Canon released their35mm AE1, Sony released their Sony Walkman.

yasirrich

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I'll Advised you to buy sony Alpha 100.This is a professional camera and have
a very smart look...All the best
Good luck.....!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Sony may not be as old of making cameras like Canon but when Konica/Minolta transfer their technologies to Sony on 2006, Sony expertise become as old as Canon.

Kinoca/Minolta was stablish on 1928
Canon (Kwanon) on 1933