Can't click on ActiveX control in Excel 2010

Excel2010

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
I have a .xlsm file that has ActiveX control button with a module macro assigned to it. Problem is I can't click the ActiveX button from my Excel 2010 Standard. I tried to repair and reinstall Excel but that did not fix it.

Tried adding a new ActiveX control to the worksheet but got "Cannot insert object" message. I checked as many of the security settings as I could based off Google searches, but that didn't seem to work. The icon of the excel file does have a ! sign on orange background though.

Any idea what's is going on?

ExcelClout

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
You can try deleting the temporary MSForms.exd files just once in these hidden temp folders:

C:\Users\[user.name]\AppData\Local\Temp\Excel8.0\MSForms.exd
C:\Users\[user.name]\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE\MSForms.exd

If you need to distribute your Excel file, there is a way to rename the MSForms.exd files in VBA even when Excel is running, which can also fix the issue. I've posted the VBA snippet in the link below. Add the snippet to the spreadsheets that are being distributed. Then they should be immune to the Microsoft update.

http://www.excelclout.com/microsoft-update-breaks-excel-activex-controls-fix/

DTMOCE

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
A great help!!!
Just ran into this for some Excel spreadsheets I was sure had worked before!

Removing the temp files worked for me.
For those "perhaps" still using the expired WinXP, look here...
C:\Documents and Settings\[user.name]\Local Settings\Temp\Excel8.0
C:\Documents and Settings\[user.name]\Local Settings\Temp\VBE

Replace [user.name] appropriately of course!

Gerald123

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
I tried the rename fix and it partially worked. I added in a new workbook a command button and it ran as expected. However, in my main workbook I get a message saying that it cannot quit design mode because it cannot create a list box.