Can't Connect to Any Search Engine but Bing

Revfan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
I can connect to the internet, and if I use a bookmark or type an address into the address bar, I can get the site I want.

Bing works, but no other search engine works... if the URL has "google" in the title, I get a unable to connect error.

I removed Soluto and Pokki that got placed on the relatively new laptop when my son was trying to download minecraft mods...

I also ran Maywarebytes and Revo uninstaller to help clean up, but I still can't connect to google search.

Lastly, I searched (using bing) the topic, and some folks have had luck by changing their etc\hosts file. I looked at mine, and it seems to be the default file with no issues.

Any ideas?

Revfan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
The interesting thing is that my etc\hosts file isn't corrupted. There is nothing in it but the default notes.

I checked the add ons... I use firefox, but the problem exists when I try Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.

rgd... I've tried every incantation of the google address... but its not just www.google.com its ANYTHING with Google in the address... so
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta&hl...
would come up Unable to connect because it sees the google in the address...

Weird

Revfan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Yahoo doesn't work

I have tried a system restore to an earlier point... that didn't work. I tried deleting my kids user account, creating a new one and that didn't work.

I have other computers in the house... using the same connection, they work fine. There must be some file that i am missing...

Revfan

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Gaming Tech
I couldn't find anything specific in the Windows Firewall that blocked the google or other search engines, but from the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Screen, I right clicked on "Windows Firewall with Advance Security and chose "restore the default policy", and now everything works!

Thanks Guys!