Can't decide on a slim portable laptop with discrete GPU

CraftedElements

Estimable
Mar 30, 2014
I've recently parted ways with my massive gaming rig that I built myself, and am searching for a portable, slim ( >1inch thick, >5lbs) laptop that could not only handle coursework, but also run games decently. I understand that with portability and small form factor, that there's no way I will be able to run games like I did on my PC. My budget is maxed out at $1400. I've been looking at 3 laptops lately.

1) Aorus X3 Plus- Specs: i7-4860HQ 2.4Ghz/8G/256GB SSD/GTX 870
2) HP Omen Specs: Intel Core i7-4720HQ/8G/256GB SSD/GTX 960M
3) Razer Blade 14" Specs: Intel Core i7-4702HQ 2.2 GHz/8G/256GB SSD/GTX 870M

All of these are either refurbished or used in very well condition. I have found all of them in my budget, the cheapest being the Aorus X3 (by $200) and the most expensive being the Razer ($50 less than my max budget)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Why not consider the New Alienware 13, it is 1350$ on Amazon (and no tax).

Core i7 5500U, 16GB ram, Gtx 860M, 512 SSD, 3200x1800 Touchscreen.
1in thick and 4 pounds.

Everything meets your requirements. Besides, it has much better battery life and builds, and runs cooler than 3 of your candidates.

The set-backs are:
- Weaker CPU
- Weaker GPU

Consider it when:
- You need a capable machine on the road with light weight and good battery life (last 2 and a half hour on heavy gaming)
- You have a beast PC at home for serious gaming.
- You only need mid-range hardware for things like FIFA, DOTA 2, LOL, low/medium-settings Witcher 3, GTA V.
- You like retina-like display, perfect colors with touch ability to experience windows 10 and doing...

nudawa

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Why not consider the New Alienware 13, it is 1350$ on Amazon (and no tax).

Core i7 5500U, 16GB ram, Gtx 860M, 512 SSD, 3200x1800 Touchscreen.
1in thick and 4 pounds.

Everything meets your requirements. Besides, it has much better battery life and builds, and runs cooler than 3 of your candidates.

The set-backs are:
- Weaker CPU
- Weaker GPU

Consider it when:
- You need a capable machine on the road with light weight and good battery life (last 2 and a half hour on heavy gaming)
- You have a beast PC at home for serious gaming.
- You only need mid-range hardware for things like FIFA, DOTA 2, LOL, low/medium-settings Witcher 3, GTA V.
- You like retina-like display, perfect colors with touch ability to experience windows 10 and doing graphics-related-things

Solution